Wolves beat young Rhinos with late flurry of tries

The Warrington Wolves prepared for the Challenge Cup Final as they welcomed a Leeds Rhinos side, full of young talent.

It took the Wolves just four minutes to open the scoring against a rotated Rhinos side.

A high kick from Dec Patton was claimed by Toby King above Liam Tindall, and walked over for the try.

The Rhinos nearly hit back a few minutes later through Brett Ferres, and looked to cross again after a number of Warrington errors.

In the 17th minute, a short pass from Jarrod O’Connor was gathered by Sam Walters and the youthful second-rower crossed from short range.

After conceding, the Wolves began to build up ahead of steam once again.

That was until the half-hour mark when Sitaleki Akauola was sent to the sin-bin for a dangerous tackle on James Harrison.

Despite being a man down, Warrington withheld the Leeds attack, and then took the lead with four minutes to go until the break.

Patton took the ball to the line, but was caught high by Muizz Mustapha, and Ratchford converted the penalty for a slender two-point lead.

HALF-TIME: Warrington Wolves 8-6 Leeds Rhinos

The tight affair continued in the second half, as both sides looked to take a proper grip on the match.

With half an hour to go, a clever move set Matty Ashton free down the left, and the winger was too quick for Jack Walker as he slid over in the corner.

Ratchford missed his conversion from the wing, and the Wolves lead 12-6.

Ten minutes later though, that lead was extended after another high kick from Patton was claimed once again by King, who then offloaded to Ben Currie.

Currie then dummied past Walker and dotted down to score.

The Wolves should have made it 24-6 in the very next set, as Currie made a line break once again.

He should have passed inside to Widdop for a certain try, but was caught in two minds in the tackle of Walker, and shifted the ball out to Toby King who was wrapped up by Liam Tindall and the ball was knocked on.

With ten minutes to go, the Rhinos were penalised once again, and Ratchford struck another penalty to make it 20-6.

The young Rhinos side were struggling to deal with a Warrington side on a roll, and with five minutes to go, conceded another try.

Daryl Clark picked the ball up and powered over the top of Harvey Whiteley to ground the ball.

The scoring wasn’t finished though, as Ashton was on hand to catch and ground the ball after Tindall failed to gather yet another kick from Patton.

FULL-TIME: Warrington Wolves 32-6 Leeds Rhinos


Warrington Wolves

Ratchford, Ashton, Gelling, King, Charnley, Widdop, Patton, Hill, Walker, Robson, Currie, Hughes, J. Clark

Interchanges: D. Clark, Davis, Akauola, Johnson

Tries: King, Ashton (2), Currie, D. Clark

Goals: Ratchford (6/7)

Sin-Bins: Akauola

Leeds Rhinos

Walker, L. Briscoe, Thompson, Evans, Tindall, Broadbent, McLelland, Cuthbertson, O’Connor, Holroyd, Ferres, Walters, Smith

Interchanges: Harrison, Mustapha, McConnell, Whiteley

Tries: Walters

Goals: O’Connor (1/1)

Referee: C. Kendall

Touch Judges: J. Roberts, L. Rush

Video Referee: R. Hicks

Image Source: @ (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: