Wolves beat gutsy Giants in injury-filled affair

The Warrington Wolves returned from a two-week break to face a Huddersfield Giants side without a win in the last month.

Despite a bright start from the Giants, it was Warrington who opened the scoring.

Following a goal-line drop-out, the Wolves got themselves back to within a few metres of the try-line and Daryl Clark picked up from the ruck and powered over from short range.

Warrington should have picked up a second try in the 14th minute, but after skipping across the line and pulling in Brandon Moore, Stefan Ratchford’s pass to Gareth Widdop was deemed forward as the half-back slid over.

Just before the 20th minute mark, Josh Charnley showed good power to get over on the right edge, but was held up by three Giants defenders.

The winger also picked up a shoulder injury and left the field, causing a reshuffle for Steve Price.

The injury worries continued for both sides, as Lee Gaskell left the field for Huddersfield, as did Jason Clark and Mike Cooper for Warrington.

With five minutes to go until the break, James Gavet nearly pulled the Giants level, as he dropped the ball onto his foot, before chasing his own kick.

The kick was slightly too long and bounced over the dead-ball line.

A few minutes later, a crossfield kick from Aiden Sezer bounced down into the in-goal area into the hands of Jake Wardle who grounded the ball.

Under further review from video referee, Liam Moore, It was Anthony Gelling who tapped the ball down under pressure from Darnell McIntosh and the try was confirmed.

In the final seconds of the half, the Giants were penalised for a dangerous tackle by the halfway line, which allowed Ratchford to try and give the home side a slender lead and struck the ball sweetly between the posts.

HALF-TIME: Warrington Wolves 8-6 Huddersfield Giants

Warrington did their best to take control of the game at the start of the second half but Gavet showed his power to bust through the defensive line and give the Giants the lead.

In the 49th minute, the Wolves scored a sensational try.

On the last tackle, Blake Austin shifted the ball to the short side and Josh Thewlis broke the line.

With just Ashton Golding to beat, he passed inside to Daryl Clark for his second try.

As the game ticked towards the hour mark, the Wolves extended their lead after some ill-discipline from the Giants.

The ball was shifted to Anthony Gelling, and the centre, who was filling in on the wing, stepped back inside and did enough to ground the ball.

With just a six point lead, the Wolves knew the game was far from over.

With eight minutes to go, Sezer joined Gaskell on the sideline for the rest of the game, but no through injury.

He was sin-binned for kicking the ball away and the Giants would finish the game with 12-men.

In Warrington’s very next set, Widdop struck a drop-goal to take his side out to a seven-point lead.

Widdop crossed the whitewash just a minute later, but he was held up after brilliant work from Golding and Brandon Moore.

The list of walking wounded continued to grow, as Matty English was the next to be ushered from the field.

FULL-TIME: Warrington Wolves 19-12 Huddersfield Giants


Warrington Wolves

Ratchford, Thewlis, Gelling, King, Charnely, Austin, Widdop, Hill, D. Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, J. Clark

Interchanges: Philbin, Murdoch-Masila, Davis, Walker

Tries: D. Clark (2), Gelling

Goals: Ratchford (3/4)

Drop-Goals: Widdop

Huddersfield Giants

Golding, McGillvary, Jake Wardle, Cudjoe, McIntosh, Gaskell, Sezer, Ta’ai, Moore, Hewitt, McQueen, Joe Wardle, Lawrence

Interchanges: English, Wilson, Turner, Gavet

Tries: Jake Wardle, Gavet

Goals: Sezer (2/2)

Sin-Bins: Sezer

Referee: R. Hicks

Touch Judges: J. Child, L. Rush

Video Referee: L. Moore

Image Source: @WarringtonRLFC (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: