Wigan go top with win over Saints

Wigan Warriors and St Helens went to toe-to-toe for the second time this season as Round 19 of the Betfred Super League came to an end.

Following a physical start, the game came to a sudden halt in the 15th minute after referee Chris Kendall collided with James Graham when tracking back into position.

Thankfully, neither party was injured by the awkward contact.

With 20 minutes gone, the game was still scoreless, as both teams looked to take an advantage.

It took until the half hour mark for the deadlock to be broken, as Jonny Lomax slipped the clutches of the Wigan defence on the left edge, before passing back inside to Lachlan Coote for the opening try.

The Warriors hit back immediately, as a charging run from Joe Greenwood out the visitors on the front foot.

Zak Hardaker received the ball on the right edge, before kicking along the floor, with the the bouncing ball being picked up by Jake Bibby who dived over to score in the corner.

HALF-TIME: St Helens 6-4 Wigan Warriors

The game continued in its niggly fashion at the start of the second half, but Tommy Leuluai gave his side the lead in the 54th minute.

He picked up the ball at first receiver before stepping back inside and bouncing out the a couple of tackles for his first try of the season.

The Warriors league was extended just after the hour mark, when Bevan French showed his class once again.

Leuluai took the ball to the line, and pushed Willie Isa through the gap.

Isa then offloaded to French who stood up Coote, before accelerating around the outside and causing Coote and one of his teammates to collide to collide for a wonderful try.

Despite the try tally being three to one in Wigan’s favour, the score remained 6-12 following three missed conversions by Hardaker, and Saints were very much still in the game.

With ten minutes to go, Wigan made Saints pay for a couple of errors.

Jackson Hastings was the recipient of an offload by Joe Greenwood and spotted a gap on the outside of James Bentley and raced through the space to slide over and score.

Following a few big tackles of Jonny Lomax and Theo Fages, the high tackles began flying in from both sides.

Joe Greenwood was the next to out in a high shot with a swinging arm on Matty Lees, with the Warriors second rower, luckily, being sent to the sin-bin, for what should have been a red card offence.

The remainder of the game played out though, and Wigan picked up the two points.

FULL-TIME: St Helens 6-18 Wigan Warriors


St Helens

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Welsby, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Graham, Roby, Lees, Taia, Bentley, Knowles

Interchanges: Peyroux, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Amor, Paulo

Tries: Coote

Goals: Coote (1/1)

Wigan Warriors

French, Bibby, Hardaker, Gildart, J. Burgess, Leuluai, Hastings, Bullock, Powell, Singleton, Isa, Farrell, Partington

Interchanges: Clubb, Flower, Greenwood, Smithies

Tries: Bibby, Leuluai, French, Hastings

Goals: Hardaker (1/4)

Sin-Bins: Greenwood

Referee: C. Kendall

Touch Judges: S. Mikalauskas, C . Sharrad

Video Referee: B. Thaler

Image Source: @Saints1890 (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: