Warrington go back top with ninth win on the bounce

Despite a horror journey, the Catalans Dragons made it in time to face the Warrington Wolves at the Halliwell Jones Stadium to continue round 13.

Within just seven minutes, Warrington looked to have taken the lead.

Blake Austin made a break, before passing inside to Jake Mamo.

Mamo managed to offload to Anthony Gelling who twisted through the tackle and grounded the ball.

On the 20th minute, the Wolves came within an inch of a second try.

A spirralling kick from Austin was left to bounce by Tom Davies, and a little nudge forward from Daryl Clark allowed Chris Hill to pick up the ball.

However, three Dragons defenders managed to being down the prop-forward just before the try-line.

Just minutes later though, it was Davies who scored for Catalans.

Josh Drinkwater and James Maloney combined in midfield, which allowed Joel and Sam Tomkins to link up and put Tom Davies over in the corner.

It took the Dragons until the 32nd minute to score another try and this time it was Tomkins again who managed to take the ball to the line before throwing a pass to Langi who crashed over.

With 90 seconds to go until the break, Gareth Widdop made a half-break before kicking ahead on the last tackle.

The ball was gathered by the onrushing Matty Ashton who raced the 40-metres to score under the posts.

HALF-TIME: Warrington Wolves 12-12 Catalans Dragons

It took five minutes for the Wolves to retake the lead.

A thundering run from Joe Philbin straight from the drop-out left the home-side just ten metres out.

Two tackles later, Matt Davis collected the ball at first receiver and busted through Matt WHitley and Drinkwater to score.

In the 55th minute, Warrington extended their lead.

Ben Murdoch-Masila put a deft pass back on the inside for Matty Ashton, who then pass back to Austin who scored under the posts.

The 12-point lead was soon cut to eight after a break from Davies.

Simple hands through Maloney, Drinkwater, Tomkins and Whitley found Samisoni Langi and Fouad Yaha with just Matty Ashton to beat and a simple pass from the centre to the winger allowed Yaha to slide over and score.

The Dragons were applying plenty of pressure on Warrington, coming within metres of scoring on a few occasions.

However, with five minutes to go, they found themselves down to 12-men after James Maloney was sin-binned for a high and late tackle on Danny Walker

Danny Walker looked to put Jack Hughes through a gap, but the big man was caught short before offloading back to Walker for the score.

FULL-TIME: Warrington Wolves 30-16 Catalans Dragons


Warrington Wolves

Ashton, Charnley, Gelling, King, Mamo, Austin, Widdop, Hill, D. Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, J. Clark

Interchanges: Murdoch-Masila, Philbin, Davis, Walker

Tries: Gelling, Ashton, Davis, Austin, Walker

Goals: Widdop (5/5)

Catalans Dragons

S. Tomkins, Yaha, Folau, Langi, Davies, Drinkwater, Maloney, Moa, McIlorum, Casty, J. Tomkins, Whitley, Garcia

Interchanges: Seguier, Goudemand, Baitieri, Belmas

Tries: Davies, Langi, Yaha

Goals: Maloney (2/3)

Referee: R. Hicks

Touch Judges: M. Craven, L. Rush

Video Referee: L. Moore

Image Source: @WarringtonRLFC (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: