Titans make in four on the bounce as poor Manly lose again

Despite both sides missing out on the finals, this game still had plenty of meaning as the winning side could move up to ninth come the end of the weekend.

The Sea Eagles opened the scores before the Titans had even touched the ball.

Cherry-Evans collected the ball on the right, and put in a deft pass to Jack Gosiewski through the defensive line and the prop-forward scored from 10-metres out.

However, in the 12th minute, the Titans were level.

Manly were looking for a second try when suddenly a quick 20-metre tap from Young Tonumaipea allowed AJ Brimson to hit a huge gap and the Gold Coast full-back raced away 80 metres and dotted down under the posts.

Just before the 20th minute, a crossfield kick from Ash Taylor was claimed by Tonumaipea on the bounce, and under pressure from Albert Hopoate.

The centre managed to keep his hand on the ball and ground it for a try.

However, The Bunker deemed that Tonumaipea didn’t regather properly before touching down and the game remained 6-6.

A few moments later, Corey Thompson was on the receiving end of a sweeping moving to the left-wing, and the winger managed to lean into Hopoate before stretching out to score while keeping his feet in the field of play.

The Sea Eagles right-sided defence was caught short once again as Tyrone Peachey, Jamal Fogarty and Brimson combined to quickly move the ball to Tonumaipea who beat the defence and scored after being tackled over the line by Cherry-Evans.

The Sea Eagles were pushing for a second try of their own just after the half-hour mark, but Cherry-Evans’ pass was picked off by Thompson.

The half-back did well to catch the winger, but a quick play-the-ball allowed Tonumaipea to pick up from dummy-half and step inside Hopoate, who was concerned about the numbers on the outside, and score his second.

With three minutes to go until the break, and following three consecutive penalties, the Sea Eagles scored.

A short flat pass from Jake Trbojevic found Teniela Paseka, who found himself with plenty of room after the defence shifted inside one to defende Tom Trbojevic.

With so much room, Paseka ran straight forward and cut the deficit just before the break.

HALF-TIME: Manly Sea Eagles 12-22 Gold Coast Titans

The Titans started the second half the faster as they managed to extend their lead after just four minutes.

A powering run from Sam Lisone put the visitors on the front foot, and the ball was then shifted to Sam Stone who was too strong and crashed over the line.

Just a few minutes later, the Sea Eagles were again looking to score, but yet another pass from Morgan Harper was picked off and Treymain Spry raced all the way upfield.

At the half-way line, it looked as though Tom Trbojevic would catch the centre, but a slight burst of pace meant he beat the full-back and covering winger Tevita Funa to ground the ball.

However, on second review, the ball was grounded short and Manly escaped.

With half an hour to go, a kick from Tannah Boyd bounced awkwardly for Tom Trbojevic and the full-back failed to clear the ball before Kevin Proctor managed to ground the ball.

The Titans were in the mood for scoring tries and just two minutes later, Ash Taylor took the ball to the line and passed back inside to Brimson.

The full-back for enough to step past Tom Trbojevic, and pick up his second of the afternoon.

On the hour-mark, an early kick from Taylor caught Tom Trbojevic off guard, and bounced beautifully for Spry to gather and touch down for his first NRL-try.

Manly’s shining light in this disappointing performance was Jack Gosiewski, and a few minutes later, the big second-rower powered over from short range for a double.

With 11 minutes remaining, another Manly error allowed the Titans to charge back up to within 10-metres of the try-line.

The Sea Eagles managed to keep the Gold Coast out, and then even picked up another score of their own.

Curtis Sironen was put through a gap by Martin Taupau, and with just Brimson to beat, passed inside to Cherry-Evans for the try.

With just a few minutes left, the game was already won by the Titans but both sides were pushing for one more shot at points.

FULL-TIME: Manly Sea Eagles 24-42 Gold Coast Titans


Manly Sea Eagles

T. Trbojevic, Funa, Parker, Harper, Hopoate, Croker, Cherry-Evans, Taupau, Levi, Boyle, Gosiewski, Sironen, J. Trbojevic

Interchanges: Miski, Waddell, Keppie, Paseka

Tries: Gosiewski (2), Paseka, Cherry-Evans

Goals: Cherry-Evans (4/4)

Gold Coast Titans

Brimson, Don, Spry, Tonumaipea, Thompson, Taylor, Fogarty, Wallace, Rein, Fotuaika, Proctor, Stone, Peachey

Interchanges: Boyd, Arrow, Lisone, Whitbread

Tries: Brimson (2), Thompson, Tonumaipea (2), Stone, Proctor, Spry

Goals: Taylor (5/8)

Referee: M. Noyen

Touch Judges: L. Kennedy, G. Badger

Video Referee: J. Maxwell

Image Source: @NRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: