Titans end season with thumping win over Knights

The Gold Coast Titans looked to equal a club record of five consecutive wins, as they welcomed the Newcastle Knights to Cbus Stadium for the last round in 2020.

After just three minutes, the Gold Coast Titans took the lead.

Ash Taylor threw a wide ball to put Brian Kelly in space on the left-edge.

Kelly linked up with Treymain Spry to make extra yards with the winger passing back inside to Taylor who raced away for the score.

It didn’t take the Knights long to hit back, as Mason Lino’s chip to the corner was misjudged by Aiden Guerra and Brian Kelly, which allowed the ball to bounce to Mitchell Pearce.

The half-back then picked up and grounded the ball.

However, both Kelly, and then Guerra knocked on so the Knights were denied.

The Knights were resilient over the next five minutes and once again crossed in the 11th minute through Edrick Lee.

However, his foot was dragged into touch by Sam Stone before the ball was grounded.

Having soaked up all the pressure, the Titans picked up their second try with 15 minutes until the half.

Mitchell Rein picked the ball up from dummy-half and just waltzed through a tired looking Knights defence for an easy score.

Newcastle finally hit back in the 34th minutes.

On the fourth tackle, following goal-line drop out, Lino attacked the line, before passing out the back to Sione Mata’utia, who then put Lee over in the corner despite a little bobble.

With two minutes left before the break, Gold Coast grabbed their third try.

After a looping pass from Fogarty, Spry managed to do enough to keep the ball on the field by pushing the ball back to Brian Kelly.

Kelly ducked under two attempted tackles, and showed good footwork and strength to get past Kalyn Ponga and Pearce to score.

HALF-TIME: Gold Coast Titans 16-6 Newcastle Knights

With the rain beginning to fall, the game became a little sloppy.

Lee broke down the left-hand edge, before kicking back inside for Mitchell Pearce, but AJ Brimson did enough to make the Knights half-back lose control.

Brimson then showed his class in attack.

Anthony Don claimed a high bomb, and then passed inside to the full-back.

Brimson then found a gap, to break through and then glided past Ponga and raced away to score.

With just over an hour gone, a poor kick from Lino on the fifth tackle found Spry who broke away.

Spry passed inside to the quicker Taylor who did enough to beat Ponga to the line for a try.

The Titans were running riot as Brimson crossed again after busting out of a tackle, before stepping past Ponga again for his second.

Straight from the kick off, Brian Kelly managed to get on the outside before release Spry.

The winger was wrapped up by Ponga, but managed to offload to Kevin Proctor, who raced into the corner and score try number seven.

The Titans were still pushing for more points with less than five minutes remaining, but instead just pinned the Knights inside their own half.

FULL-TIME: Gold Coast Titans 36-6 Newcastle Knights


Gold Coast Titans

Brimson, Don, Kelly, Tonumaipea, Spry, Taylor, Fogarty, Wallace, Rein, Fotuaika, Proctor, Stone, Peachey

Interchanges: Boyd, Lisone, Arrow, Whitbread

Tries: Taylor (2), Rein, Kelly, Brimson (2) Proctor

Goals: Taylor (4/7)

Newcastle Knights

Ponga, Lee, Tuala, Best, Hunt, Lino, Pearce, Klemmer, Mann, D. Saifiti, Mata’utia, Guerra, Barnett

Interchanges: Randall, J. Saifiti, Ese’ese, Jones

Tries: Lee

Goals: Lino (1/1)

Referee: C. Sutton

Touch Judges: L. Kennedy, D. Oultram

Video Referee: J. Maxwell

Image Source: @NRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: