Tigers beat Rovers despite fightback

Later than scheduled, the Hull Kingston Rovers faced the Castleford Tigers at the Totally Wicked Stadium to kick off round 17.

In a physical start, both Matt Parcell and Nathan Massey left the field following knocks to both players.

Parcell dislocated his fingers, and would return, but Massey seemed to struggling to breathe after a heavy hit to the ribs.

With eight minutes on the clock, the score began ticking over after Jacques O’Neill picked up from the ruck, and beat the tackle of Will Dagger for the opening try.

Cas picked up a second try in quick succession as Alex Foster managed to ground the ball ahead of Ben Crooks following a kick back inside from O’Neill.

Two minutes later, Cheyse Blair broke the line after dummying inside Crooks, but lost the ball in a last ditch tackle by Will Dagger.

In the 20th minute, the Tigers picked up try number three, and this time they took full advantage of a mistake by Crooks.

Adam Milner collected the ball at first receiver, and bounced out the tackle off Weller Heuraki, and burrowed his way under the posts.

The fourth Cas try came four minutes later, after he picked off a loose pass from Hauraki and raced away to score under the posts.

Just before the half-hour mark, Hull KR pulled back a score as Elliot Minchella took the ball to the line and pushed Robbie Mulhern through a gap to slide over and score.

Five minutes later, Minchella turned scorer as he was the quickest to react to a short king from Jordan Abdull and touched down, after just about avoiding dropping the ball.

The Robins continued their fightback in the 37th minute, as Rowan Milnes took the ball to the line on the right-edge and pushed a late pass to Shaun Kenny-Dowall to cross with ease.

In the finals seconds of the half, Abdull was penalised for a flop and Richardson converted to make it 26-18 at the break.

HALF-TIME: Castleford Tigers 26-18 Hull Kingston Rovers

The Tigers opened the first half with a wonderfully worked try, as Michael Shenton made a break on the second tackle, before the ball was quickly shifted to Greg Eden who dotted down on the left wing.

After controlling the game well, the Tigers looked to wrap the game up when Eden made another break down the left edge, but the fifth tackle kick was cleaned up by Nick Rawsthorne.

A few minutes later, the Rovers looked to have pulled another score back.

Ben Crooks flung the ball back inside, to Kane Linnett, who seemed to have the ball stripped out of his hands by Richardson.

The ball was then touched down by Matty Gee and the decision went to the Video Referee.

After a long watch, Linnett knocked on and the try was disallowed.

The Rovers did manage to score five minutes later though.

Matt Parcell took the ball at a standing start after an offload from Gee and bounced around before accelerating past Daniel Smith and more to score.

With 13 minutes to go, and just an eight point advantage, Adam Milner picked the ball up from a metre out but after a video review the try was disallowed.

A few minutes later, Eden picked up his hat-trick after Paul McShane ran the ball on the last tackle, and wrapped around Junior Moors before releasing the winger for his third.

Eden was close to setting up a seventh try for the Tigers but Richardson was brought down inches from the line.

Once again in the final seconds of the half, the Tigers picked up another penalty which was converted by Richardson to close up the game.

Rovers had time to kick off, but kicked out on the full, but Blair was wrapped up and the full-time hooter blew.

FULL-TIME: Castleford Tigers 38-24 Hull Kingston Rovers


Castleford Tigers

Hodgson, Olpherts, Blair, Shenton, Eden, McShane, Richardson, Smith, O’Neill, Massey, Moors, McMeeken, Milner

Interchanges: Sene-Lefao, Foster, Peachey, Martin

Tries: O’Neill, Foster, Milner, Eden (3)

Goals: Richardson (6/7)

Hull Kingston Rovers

Dagger, Crooks, Kenny-Dowall, Linnett, Rawsthorne, Abdull, Milnes, Lawler, Parcell, Maher, Hauraki, Hadley, Minchella

Interchanges: Mulhern, Lewis, Gee, King

Tries: Mulhern, Minchella, Kenny-Dowall, Parcell

Goals: Dagger (4/4)

Referee: G. Hewer

Touch Judges: J. Vella, A. Martin

Video Referee: T. Grant

Image Source: @CTRLFC (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: