Wolves ease to win over Wakefield

Wakefield Trinity knew that another defeat would all but end their playoff hopes, as they faced a Warrington Wolves side at an empty Halliwell Jones Stadium to close out round nine.

After a niggly opening ten minutes, it was the Wolves who were getting the better of the two chances.

Ben Currie made a wonderful break from his own 10-metre line, before being ground just after the halfway line, but despite catching Wakefield on the backfoot, Tom Lineham’s pass to Toby King drifted forward and the game remained nil-nil.

It took until the 17th minute until the first points were put on the board, as Gareth Widdop and Stefan Ratchford combined down the left edge to put Toby King through a gap.

The centre dummied to get past Max Jowitt and raced under the posts to score.

A second Wire try came in the 26th minute as Blake Austin stepped off his right foot to get through the Wakefield line and accelerated away to beat three more desperate tacklers and score.

Stefan Ratchford converted both to make it 12-0.

Warrington made sure to extend their lead further just after the half-hour mark as Widdop and Austin combined on the right-edge this time to release Josh Charnley to run in from 10-metres.

HALF-TIME: Warrington Wolves 18-0 Wakefield Trinity

Warrington continued their dominance early in the second period as Blake Austin beat the tackle of Jacob Miller and raced away to outpace Jowitt and score under the posts.

Kelepi Tanginoa made a break, through the middle of the pitch for Trinity and had Jacob Miller in support but King made a perfectly timed tackle to bring the Wakefield halfback down.

Just after the hour mark, things got worse for Trinity as Louis Senior hobbled off for the visitors.

Despite losing the Huddersfield loanee, Wakefield were holding Warrington inside their own half.

That pressure was turned into points, but not those of Chris Chester’s liking.

Jacob Miller’s kick on the inside landed in the hands of Ben Currie who ran 80-metres with not a single Trinity player getting close to him.

With less than ten minutes remaining, the Wolves led 30-0.

With five minutes of the game left, Austin made sure to grab his hat-trick try, as he stayed up with play as Jason Clark, Ratchford and Matt Davis all kept the ball alive after half-breaks and the half-back went under the posts to score.

Trinity would have the ball in hand in the final minute, but the Wolves refused to let them past and the full-time hooter went.

FULL-TIME: Warrington Wolves 36-0 Wakefield Trinity


Warrington Wolves

Ratchford, Lineham, King, Mamo, Charnley, Austin, Widdop, Hill, D. Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, J. Clark

Interchanges: Philbin, Davis, Kibula, Ashton

Tries: King, Austin (3), Charnley, Curris

Goals: Ratchford (6/6)

Wakefield Trinity

Jowitt, Croft, Gigot, Tupou, Senior, Miller, Hampshire, Navarrete, Wood, Arona,  Batchelor, Ashurst, Westerman

Interchanges: Kirmond, Green, Crowther, Tanginoa



Referee: M. Griffiths

Touch Judges: J. Vella, J. Smith

Video Referee: L. Moore

Image Source: @WarringtonRLFC (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: