Wakefield woeful as Tomkins steers Dragons to top of table

Wakefield Trinity and Catalans Dragons faced off at the Totally Wicked stadium to kick-off round eight with this rescheduled fixture.

The Dragons should have been the first to score as Samisoni Langi broke down the left-wing and should have got past Tony Gigot but tripped over his own feet, before the fifth tackle play was too heavy and gifted Wakefield a seven-tackle set.

The returning Sam Tomkins released Langi once again down the left, but was once again wrapped up.

Catalans quickly shifted the ball right with David Mead throwing a basketball pass to Tom Davies but the winger couldn’t keep hold of the ball.

A few minutes later, it was third time lucky for the visitors, as Drinkwater took the ball to the line and popped the ball to Matt Whitley to crash over.

The Dragons picked up a quickfire second as a cut-out pass from Tomkins found Fouad Yaha on the left, who then pushed a pass back inside to Langi to score under the posts.

Things got slightly worse for Trinity when Kelepi Tanginoa left the field after a serious looking arm injury.

Tomkins once again showed how crucial he is to the Dragons side just after the 15th minute.

He took the ball in the line this time, and with a three on two, pushed a pass out to Davies who managed to hold on to the ball and dot down.

Ill-discipline from Trinity allowed James Maloney to add another two points from the boot to make it 0-20 after 20 minutes.

Gigot was the next to leave the field for the home side as he also picked up a knee injury in a bit tackle for Michael McIlorum.

With players having been reshuffled in the Wakefield defense, David Mead broke the line on the right, and pushed a pass to Davies who raced away for his second.

A third injury came for Trinity as Lee Kershaw left the field after a hamstring injury just before the 30 minute mark.

With half an hour gone, Wakefield started to get into some good territory but Craig Kopczak’s offload went straight into the arms of Scott Drinkwater.

In the final seconds of the half, Wakefield tried one last miracle play but the ball was knocked-on and the hooter was blown.

HALF-TIME: Wakefield Trinity 0-24 Catalans Dragons

It took the Dragons just 54 seconds the continue their romp as Sam Tomkins broke through the middle of the park following a offload from McIlorum.

The full-back pushed the ball to David Mead who then passed onto Davies who ran in for a 25-minute first career hat-trick.

A sixth Dragons try followed five minutes later as Julian Bousquet ran straight at Ryan Hampshire and straight over the try-line.

The injury woes for Chris Chester’s side continued as Daivd Fifita caught his ankle underneath a tackle, but looked to remain on the field.

Fouad Yaha was the next to cross of the Dragons as Whitley turned provider for his winger who picked the ball up on the bounce, and span past Liam Kay to score.

Despite Trinity slowly getting themselves into some good field possession once again but in the Dragons next set, a high kick from Drinkwater was claimed by Yaha, and then offlaoded back inside to Whitley for his second of the afternoon.

Whitley then wrapped up his hat-trick with 12 minutes to go as a loose pass from Jacob Miller was picked up by the centre on the half-way line and he raced away to score under the posts.

With five minutes to go, Langi picked up his second try and Wakefields tenth of the game.

Drinkwater’s high kick was claimed by Langi above Hampshire and the Tongan international landed over the try-line to score.

Trinity had the ball in hand in the final seconds, but Romain Navarette was wrapped up and the Dragons went top of the table on points difference.

FULL-TIME: Wakefield Trinity 0-58 Catalans Dragons


Wakefield Trinity

Gigot, Kay, Lyne, Tupou, Kershaw, Miller, Hampshire, Kopczak, Wood, Tanginoa, Pitts, Ashurst, Westerman

Interchanges: Wood, Fifita, Navarrete, Tangata



Catalans Dragons

Tomkins, Davies, Langi, Mead, Yaha, Maloney, Drinkwater, Casty, McIlorum, Moa, Whitley, Tomkins, Garcia

Interchanges: Bousquet, Jullien, Baitieri, Kasiano

Tries: Whitley (3), Langi (2), Davies (3), Bousquet, Yaha

Goals: Maloney (7/9), Tomkins (2/2)

Referee: C. Kendall

Touch Judges: T. Grant, C. Worsley

Video Referee: J. Child

Image Source: @DragonsOfficiel (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: