Fast starts gives Hull victory over Giants

Huddersfield Giants looked to move into the top four as they faced a Hull FC side coming back from a two-week break.

Both sides went close in the opening stages, but it was Hull FC with better chances.

Manu Ma’u got over the line but the ball was stripped out of his hands for a penalty.

Two tackles after the tap penalty, Albert Kelly wrapped around the ruck and stepped back inside Michael Lawrence, to slide underneath two tacklers to open the scoring.

That lead was doubled in the 16th minute after Marc Sneyd punished a misread pass from Oliver Russell.

Russell’s pass ricocheted off Jordan Turner and the Hull half-back picked up the loose ball and ran away to score.

Just after the 20-minute mark, the Airlie Birds crossed for the third time.

This time, Sneyd drop the ball onto his foot for a deft grubber kick and Josh Griffin grounded ahead of anyone else to make it 16-0.

The Giants looked to attack down the left edge, but Marc Sneyd closed the play down.

Unfortunately for Andy Last, Sneyd landed awkwardly on his right ankle and was taken off the field.

Despite the absence of Sneyd, Hull extended their lead even further thanks to a superb effort from Jack Brown.

The young forward busted a hole through the middle of the Giants defence and slammed the ball down while holding off both Ashton Golding and Sam Hewitt.

Chris Kendall sent the decision up as a try, and although the ball appeared to be grounded short, there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn the onfield decision.

Huddersfield looked dead and buried just after the half-hour mark as Jordan Johnstone kicked through from dummy-half and Mahe Fonua dived on top of the loose ball.

Josh Griffin converted both tries to make it 0-28 with six minutes to go until the break.

The Giants needed a try, and Golding delivered as a simple training ground move resulted in the full-back collecting a soft inside pass from Tom Holmes and give his side a lifeline.

HALF-TIME: Huddersfield Giants 6-28 Hull FC

The Giants seemed to have solidified their defence in the early stages of the second half, with neither team getting any serious chances before the 55th minute.

Just before the hour mark, Huddersfield were building some pressure on Hull, but Darnell McIntosh dropped the ball when given a three-on-two opportunity and the visitors held firm once again.

A few minutes later, the Giants did cross as McIntosh managed to hold the ball just long enough this time, to drag in Carlos Tuimavave and put Jordan Turner through the gap to score.

In the 63rd minute, Hull FC were down to 12-men after Mahe Fonua was sent to the sin-bin for a late and high hit on McIntosh which caused a break in play.

Despite being a man down, the Black and Whites were still taking control of the game.

Sam Hewitt and James Gavet were both interfering at the ruck less than ten-metres from their own line, and Hull FC were awarded a penalty which Josh Griffin struck between the uprights to make it 12-30 with nine minutes remaining.

With just a few minutes left on the clock, Jamie Shaul all but finished the game off with a simple one-pointer.

FULL-TIME: Huddersfield Giants 12-31 Hull FC


Huddersfield Giants

Golding, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, McIntosh, Russell, Holmes, English, O’Brien, Matagi, Edwards, Turner, Lawrence

Interchanges: Hewitt, Wood, Wilson, Gavet

Tries: Golding, Turner

Goals: Russell (2/2)

Hull FC

Shaul, Naulago, Tuimavave, Griffin, Faraimo, Kelly, Sneyd, Ellis, Johnstone, Fash, Lane, Ma’u, Gator

Interchanges: Houghton, Satae, Fonua, Brown

Tries: Kelly, Sneyd, Griffin, Brown, Fonua

Goals: Sneyd (2/3), Giffin (2/2)

Drop-Goals: Shaul

Sin-Bins: Fonua

Referee: C. Kendall

Touch Judges: J. Child, C. Worsley

Video Referee: B. Thaler

Image Source: 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: