FC and KR go back and forth in thrilling Hull Derby at KCOM Stadium

In the first of three Hull Derbies in 2020, both sides were looking at getting one over their biggest rivals, as well as making it two wins out of two at the start of the season.

Two back-to-back penalties to Hull KR put the Robins on the front foot and looked like they would be the first to score as Harvey Livett carried Jordan Lane and Carlos Tuimavave over the line with him, after a few minutes of the video being analysed by video referee Chris Kendall the try was awarded, thanks to Robert Hicks sending the decision up as a try.

The Airlie Birds were not going to make it easy for their neighbours though, as simple hands allowed Jake Connor to attack the space left by a stranded Ryan Brierley to level the scores. Marc Sneyd converted for a slender lead.

The back and forth style of the game continued as further errors from the home side, and a great defensive effort on Ratu Naulago after an attacking kick, allowed the Robins to start an attacking set just 10 metres out. They shifted the ball out to the right hand edge and Adam Quinlan shifted to the outside of Josh Griffin to score.

Hull FC hit back once more as they levelled the scores just after the half an hour mark. This time, as a kick from Marc Sneyd was fumbled by two Hull KR defenders, and Danny Houghton, on his 350th appearance tidied up to score. Sneyd once again pushed the home side two points ahead.

Both teams continued to give their all as the first 40 minutes came to a close. Both teams had the opportunity to score another try but it was the visitors crossed the line once again.

Shaun Kenny-Dowall raced down the right hand wing, the bouncing ball deceived Shaul, it was picked up by Ben Crooks, who released Jamie Ellis and in turn passed to Quinlan who scored. However, Jamie Ellis knocked the ball into Ben Crooks before the pick up causing him to be offside and the try was disallowed.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 12-10 Hull Kingston Rovers

Josh Griffin put the home side on the front foot as he charged through the Robins line and won a penalty at the ruck. However, Greg Minikin and Kenny-Dowall tackled Adam Swift into touch to stop the Black and Whites.

Both sides weer struggling to make yards in attack after 10 minutes of the second quarter but Hull FC did seem to be slightly on the front foot. That didn’t seem to phase the Robins though

On a fourth tackle play, Jamie Ellis spotted a gap on the short right-hand side, and 10 passes later, including 7 offloads, the ball ended up in the hands of Ben Crooks on the left wing for his fifth try of the season in just game two. That could well have been try of the season after a round and a half. Jamie Ellis converted for a 12-16 lead for the visitors.

A Carlos Tuimavave penalty gave Rovers the option to push their lead out to six, however, Ellis couldn’t convert and Hull FC hit back.

Josh Griffin made up for some earlier errors with a 30 metre break on the half-way line and released  Marc Sneyd for the fifth change in lead after only 57 minutes.

Griffin once again showed why he is such a threat in attack as he seemed to brush aside the Hull KR defence and the strong centre walked over with ease to further extend the home sides lead.

A late hit from Chris Satae on George Lawler was lucky to be just a penalty for the Hull FC man, but it gave the Robins much needed field position as they attempted to hit back once again.

Further penalties from Hull FC put the visitors back into a great attacking position but once again Minchella’s pass to Daniel Murray was just not good enough as they faltered on the line.

Hull FC decided to punish their rivals, as a Sneyd kick through was dotted down by Andre Savelio, however, the loose-forward was inches offside from the kick and the Robins survived.

Further ill-discipline from the Airlie Birds gave Rovers another chance to pick up a try, but this time Sneyd snuffed out a Jez Litten kick as they game closed out.

Sneyd showed his game control as he slotted a drop-goal to finish the game off.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 25-16 Hull KR

Man of the Match: Josh Griffin

Once again, a phenomenal attacking performance from the centre who picked up the most metres for the home-side. He picked up his first try of the season and looks to be a great option for Lee Radford’s side going forward.


Hull FC

Shaul, Naulago, Tuimavave, Griffin, Swift, Connor, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Sao, Jones, Lane, Savelio.

Interchanges: Satae, Johnstone, Bowden, Fonua

Tries: Connor, Houghton, Sneyd, Griffin

Goals: Sneyd (4/4)

Drop-Goals: Sneyd

Hull KR

Quinlan, Crooks, Linnett, Kenny-Dowall, Minikin, Brierley, Ellis, Livett, Storton, Mulhern, Litten, Murray, Lawler.

Interchanges: Minchella, Maher, Trout, Hadley

Tries: Livett, Quinlan, Crooks

Goals: Ellis (2/3)

Referee: R. Hicks

Touch Judges: T. Grant, J. Roberts

Video Referee: C. Kendall

image: @seriousaboutrl (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: