Salford end Giants run thanks to Inu hat-trick

Super League returned after the weekend break, with Challenge Cup Finalists Salford Red Devils travelling to West Yorkshire to face a Huddersfield Giants side unbeaten under Luke Robinson.

After a tough opening 15 minutes, in which both sides tried to find a gap in the oppositions defence, the Giants took the lead.

Aiden Sezer offloaded to Lee Gaskell after being caught on the last tackle.

The half-back then showed good footwork to put Leroy Cudjoe through the gap to score.

A second followed quickly afterwards, this time Sezer wasn’t caught with the ball in hand, as he beat the tackle of Dan Sarginson to crash over from short range.

The Giants should have picked up try number three on the half hour mark, but Darnell McIntosh’s pass on the half-way line was picked off by Chris Atkin who raced away to score.

Three minutes, Salford were down to 12 after Sarginson was sent to the sin-bin after a crusher tackle on Ashton Golding.

Despite being a man down, the Red Devils were looking to level up.

However, a try didn’t come. Insstead they had to deal with two points from Krisnan Inu after Michael Lawrence was penalised for offside.

HALF-TIME: Huddersfield 12-8 Salford Red Devils

The Red Devils were back to 13-men as the second half restarted, and were soon a man up after Kenny Edwards was sent to the sin-bin after multiple infringements on the goal line by the Giants.

They took full advantage as they spread the ball out to Krisnan Inu who levelled the score with a try in the corner.

The winger then converted from the corner to make it 12-14.

Inu was leading Salford’s fightback, and then extended his sides lead further just before the hour mark.

After picking up the ball on the left wing, he used his strength to bounce out of the tackle of Jermaine McGillvary and slammed the ball down to score.

Salford nearly pushed ahead further in the 65th minute, but they were denied by the video referee.

In the very next set, Aidan Sezer kicked high for Darnell McIntosh, and the winger claimed the ball, and then pushed the ball back inside to the half-back to score.

Sezer then failed to convert and Salford led by two with just over ten minutes on the clock.

In the 72nd minute, with the game in the balance, Salford pushed their lead back to six points.

The ball was once again pushed left and Dan Sarginson joined the line to create a three on two and whipped a pass out to Inu for his hat-trick.

Inu converted his own score to make it an eight point lead with seven minutes left.

The Giants pushed for points in the final stages but their desperate attempts were not good enough to break the Salford line.

FULL-TIME: Huddersfield Giants 16-24 Salford Red Devils


Huddersfield Giants

Golding, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Jake Wardle, McIntosh, Gaskell, Sezer, Hewitt, Holmes, Matagi, Edwards, McQueen, Lawrence

Interchanges: Russell, Joe Wardle, Trout, Gavet

Tries: Cudjoe, Sezer (2)

Goals: Sezer (2/3)

Sin-Bins: Edwards

Salford Red Devils

Sarginson, Williams, Watkins, Welham, Inu, Lolohea, Atkin, Mossop, Lussick, Dudson, Lannon, Greenwood, Yates

Interchanges: Ackers, Pauli, Burke, Flanagan

Tries: Atkin, Inu (3)

Goals: Inu 4/5)

Sin-Bins: Sarginson

Referee: R. Hicks

Touch Judges: C. Worsley, M. Craven

Video Referee: M. Griffiths

Image Source: @SeriousAboutRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: