Saints hammer youthful Warriors

In the first meeting between these two teams in 2020, the Wigan Warriors featured six debutants including Kai Pearce-Paul and Umlya Hanley to face St Helens.

As expected, Saints took the lead, but it took them until the 11th minute.

Jack Welsby managed to work his way up to within a metre of the try-line and then a short pass from Lachlan Coote from dummy-half found Alex Walmsley who crashed over.

Things got worse for the Warriors three minutes later as debutant Sam Halsall was sent to the sin-bin for a late tackle on Coote after the kick, with his shoulder connecting with the full-backs head.

In the very next set, Saints made their rivals pay.

A quick play allowed the away side to swing the ball right and Jack Welsby crossed untouched on the wing.

Regan Grace was the next to score, as he picked up the ball on the bounce on the left wing, and then put on great footwork to get past Umlya Hanley to score in the corner.

Just before the 20th minute, Jacks Wells picked up a serious knee injury in a tackle and hobbled off the field, but the Warriors were back to 13 on the field.

Saints should have grabbed a fourth just after the half hour mark, but Grace’s pass back on the inside drifted forward to Kyle Amor rather than backwards to Josh Simm.

HALF-TIME: Wigan Warriors 0-18 St Helens

Wigan managed to hold the reigning Champions out for another ten minutes, but a short pass from Kyle Amor was collected by Morgan Knowles, who crashed over for an easy try.

A quickfire second followed as James Bentley pushed off tow tacklers as he stepped back on the inside and stepped inside Liam Byrne before sliding over.

With 15 minutes remaining, Saints walked in for try number six.

Theo Fages and Lachlan Coote combined to create space on the right edge, and Kevin Naiqama released Welsby to cross for his second.

With 12 minutes to go, Jonny Lomax was sent to the sin-bin after a dangerous tackle on Ben Kilner, which left the Wigan man visible shaken.

Despite the extra man, the young, yet relentless Wigan side were struggling to break through the Saints defence.

In fact, it was the 12-man St Helens side who scored again.

Lachlan Coote spotted Regan Grace in open space on the left wing, threw a wide pass and the young Welshman stepped inside the outstretched Hanley to race away under the posts.

FULL-TIME: Wigan Warriors 0-42 St Helens


Wigan Warriors

Hanley, Halsall, Hankinson, McDonmell, Bibby, Shorrocks, Smith, Bullock, Bourouh, Bryne, Rushton, Greenwood, Wells

Interchanges: Clark, Flower, Kilner, Pearce-Paul



St Helens

Coote, Welsby, Naiqama, Simm, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Knowles, Bentley, Graham

Interchanges: Taia, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Amor, Dodd

Tries: Walmsley, Welsby (2), Grace (2), Knowles, Bentley

Goals: Coote (7/7)

Referee: B. Thaler

Touch Judges: C. Sharrad, M. Griffiths

Video Referee: J. Child

Image Source: @Saints1890 (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: