Royal Navy fall short against West Hull in Cup

Despite the heavy score line the Royal Navy side put up a good fight against a strong West Hull outfit in the Coral Challenge Cup First Round.

The Brothers welcomes the 2018 NCL Premier runners-up to Burnaby Road knowing they would be in for a tough afternoon.

However, it was the Royal Navy who started the brighter.

Sloppy defence and ill-discipline from the Yorkshire side allowed centre Gavin Duffy to score the first try of the afternoon under the posts after breaking through the defence on the right hand edge. Half-back Lennox Green was on hand to add the extras.

More penalties to the Royal Navy meant that they had the opportunity to score a couple more tries. Steve Riley dropped the ball over the line that could have given the Brothers an early 10-0 lead.

West Hull were then placed on an early team warning after further ill-discipline.

This was when the momentum shifted towards the away side.

Second-Rower Jacob Moore managed to pull the score closer as he managed to power over and through the Royal Navy defence after 15 minutes. Prop Forward Ryan Wilson added the extras to make it 6-6.

Bobby Tyson-Wilson came off the bench and the former Hull FC academy player made a huge impact for West Hull.

He picked up a quick brace to edge the Yorkshire side ahead. The first the picked up after collecting a pass from hooker Scott Spaven to dive over from short range.

The second followed shortly after sloppy defence from the Royal Navy. Ryan Wilson throw back a wild offload but Bobby Tyson-Wilson picked up his second try of the afternoon. Wilson once again added the extras to make it 6-18 after half

A goal-line drop out was forced after Ian Kerman’s kicked left Luke Cooper trapped in goal.

This led the Jack Lazenby adding his name to the scoresheet as Scott Partis sliced his way past the Royal Navy line and released the centre into a huge gap. Scott Partis did manage to add the extras though despite slipping as he connected with the ball.

A fifth try of the half for West Hull cane straight at the end of the half as Harry Tyson-Wilson broke through the Brothers defensive line, passed inside to Jacob Moore who in turn released Scott Partis who dotted down. The half-back converted his own try and the half-time whistle was blown.

Half-Time: Royal Navy 6-30 West Hull

The second half started the same as the first, with an early Royal Navy try.

Hooker Marika Tuinabunawa was the man who dotted down. The Royal Navy powered their way up the field and within the first minute of the half, the Pacific Islander dived over from dummy-half and pegged the lead back to four tries.

The lead was stretched once again as the influential Bobby Tyson-Wilson turned, released Jack Lazenby, who in a five-on-one backed himself and grabbed his second of the afternoon. Partis missed the resulting conversion and made it a 22-point gap.

The try-scoring dried up until the final 10 minutes of the game but the action didn’t.

Just after an hour played and disagreement between West Hull’s Jacob Moore and the Royal Navy’s Jon Clay resulted in punches being thrown.

Moore received a straight red-card and Clay received a yellow as both team momentarily went down to 12 men.

During this period neither team managed to score but West Hull would not rest, despite their lead.

The Royal Navy were denied a try though as Josh Coupland managed to dot down but the play was brought back for a forward pass by Lennox Green.

Even with a man down, West Hull managed to score a further two tries to finish the game off.

The first of the two came courtesy off Luke Moss as Lazenby broke once more down the left hand edge and unselfishly gave the winger the ball and score.

West Hull’s other winger Jamie Leigh also managed to get a try of his own.

Once again, it was Lazenby who powered through the Royal Navy line and released Jamie Leigh to dive over in the corner.

Scott Partis misses the final two attempts at goal and the final whistle was blown and West Hull marched into round two.

After the game, Royal Navy Head Coach Steve Lockton said:

‘We’re a team who come together two days before a game, and if you look at this game we’ve got 16 guys unavailable as the Marines are deployed in Norway, so we’re in a good place. I wouldn’t look at the score line and think it was disappointing, it wasn’t, it was far from it.’

Mark Hewitt, West Hull Head Coach said:

‘Overall, we’ve done really well, it started off pretty slow, pretty sloppy, giving a lot of penalties away. As the game went on the started to push on and I think they struggled with our structure towards the back end of each half.’

Final Score: Royal Navy 12-42 West Hull


Royal Navy:

Luke Cooper, Lloyd Williamson, Gavin Duffy, Steve Riley, Josh Coupland, Jon Clay, Lennox Green, Danny Johnson, Danny Heaton, Matt Holland, Nathan Lee, Louis McKenna, Jack Basher.

Subs: Marika Tuinabunawa, Adam Birkett, Mark Robinson, Matt Couzens


Gavin Duffy, Marika Tuinabunawa


Lennox Green (2/2)

West Hull:

Harry Tyson-Wilson, Luke Moss, Josh Nicklin, Jack Lazenby, Jamie Leigh, Scott Partis, Ian Kerman, Ryan Wilson, Scott Spaven,Benn Arbon, Nathan Powley, Jacob Moore, Ryan Steen.


Josh Wood, Ryan Langton, Lee Cator, Bobby Tyson-Wilson


Jack Lazenby (2), Bobby Tyson-Wilson (2), Luke Moss, Scott Partis, Jamie Leigh, Jacob Moore.


Ryan Wilson (3/3), Scott Partis (2/5)

Man of the Match:

Bobby Tyson-Wilson – The prop-forward made a huge impact off the bench, it just a bartering ram, he was skilful when in possession today and managed to grab himself two tries.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: