Rovers fall short after Fages clutch Golden Point drop-goal.

St Helens faced off against Hull Kingston Rovers knowing that a win by more than two points would take them to the top of the Betfred Super League

Saints started the brighter forcing an early goal-line drop-out from a kick from Theo Fages.

The Rovers were holding on firm, but conceded a penalty in the eighth minute, which Lachlan Coote converted for an early lead.

In the 16th minute, Jonny Lomax skipped the outside, broke the line and stretched over the line.

However, Zeb Taia was penalised for obscruction and Saints still only led by two.

In the 24th minute, and with their first major scoring opportunity, the Robins crossed for a try.

Jordan Abdull attacked the line, dummied the ball to suck in Theo Fages and then put Dean Hadley through the space to slide over.

That lead didn’t last too long though as Regan Grace was the recipient of a flick pass off the floor by Jonny Lomax and the Welshmen crossed in the corner.

HALF-TIME: St Helens 8-6 Hull Kingston Rovers

It took Saints less than three minutes to extend their lead.

Jack Welsby was given loads of room on the right-wing to race down into the corner and beat the lunge of Will Dagger to dive over.

Just after the 50th minute, Rovers hit back thanks to a pinpoint kick from Mikey Lewis being knocked back into the in-goal area by Regan Grace, with Shaun Kenny-Dowall reacting quickest to dive on the loose ball and score.

Saints hit back just before the hour mark, as Alex Walmsley, fresh onto the field picked up an early ball from Aaron Smith and carried four Robins defenders over the line with him to extend the lead.

Greg Minikin managed to clean up an awkward fifth tackle kick from Lomax in the 66th minute, and looked to escape out of the ten metre line.

However, his pass to Kane Linnett only found the floor, then the touchline to gift the ball back to Saints.

James Bentley made an accusation of indecent contact complaint in the next set after knocking the ball on with Jordan Abdull looking to be the guilty party, but no clear angles were replayed.

The incident went on report, and the Rovers began slowly moving themselves back up the pitch.

Following multiple set restarts, and ill-discipline from the Saints, the Robins looked to pull a score back.

Quick passing to the right-edge gave Shaun Kenny-Dowall time and space to throw an overhead pass to Ethan Ryan, who then dived over spectacularly in the corner.

An accidental offside from James Bentley gave Hull KR the ball 25 metres out, with three and a half minutes remaining.

With just under two minutes less, a high tackle from Kevin Naiqama on Kane Linnett caused a huge break in play, after the centres head then connected with the thigh of James Graham.

The Saints centre was sent to the sin-bin for the tackle and the Rovers had the chance to win the game against 12-men.

Will Dagger opted to kick for goal, and struck sweetly to level the scores.

The Robins had the ball in hand in the final minute, having received the kick-off, but a knock-on from Dagger meant the game headed to golden point.

FULL-TIME: St Helens 20-20 Hull Kingston Rovers

Despite being a man down, the Saints powered to within 30-metres, and Lachlan Coote struck a field-goal that went inches wide of the left hand upright.

Rovers failed to get into a good enough position to strike following their seven tackle set, and failed to keep Saints inside their own half as a set restart, and a break by Coote got them home side to within 15-metres.

After a slight head knock to Abdull, the ball was flung back to Theo Fages, and the half-back struck the one-pointer for the win.

GOLDEN POINT FULL-TIME: St Helens 21-20 Hull Kingston Rovers


St Helens

Coote, Welsby, Naiqama, Simm, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Graham, Taia, Bentley, Knowles

Interchanges: Peyroux, Lees, Amor, Smith

Tries: Grace, Welsby, Walmsley

Goals: Coote (4/4)

Drop-Goals: Fages

Sin-Bin: Naiqama

Hull Kingston Rovers

Dagger, Ryan, Kenny-Dowall, Linnett, Minikin, Abdull, Lewis, Hauraki, Litten, Lawler, Storton, Hadley, Minchella

Interchanges: Parcell, Murray, Garbutt, Peteru

Tries: Hadley, Kenny-Dowall, Ryan

Goals: Dagger (4/4)

Referee: J. Smith

Touch Judges: J. Roberts, M. Smaill

Video Referee: T. Grant

Image Source: @ (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: