Rhinos win despite fast start from Hull

In a late rearranged fixture, Hull FC faced the Leeds Rhinos at Headingley, after the withdrawal from Castleford Tigers after multiple positive COVID-19 tests.

The first points came in the ninth minute after a niggly start between the two sides.

Jake Connor, playing at full-back, took the ball to the line and then pushed a pass to Mahe Fonua, who crossed on his 150th appearance for the club.

Cameron Scott made a break on the 15th minute which put Hull within five metres of the Leeds line.

A quick play the ball followed, and Richie Myler was penalised for offside and sent to the sin-bin for a professional foul.

The extra man was taken advantage of almost immediately as Ben McNamara dropped the ball onto Andre Savelio to double the lead.

In the 25th minute, the Rhinos managed to pull a score back, despite being a man down.

A high kick back to the short side by Luke Gale was tapped back by Ash Handley into the arms of Jack Walker who then slid over to score.

In the Rhinos very next set, it was Handley who grabbed a quickfire second.

The ball was spread out to the right-hand side, and Walker managed to offload the ball with his right hand while in the tackle of Scott and Handley claimed the ball to touch down in the corner.

With the scores level, the Rhinos continued to take control of the game.

Matt Prior managed to get the ball offloaded just before his ball carrying arm hit the floor, and Walker reacted quickest and caught the ball before twisting out of the tackle of Ben McNamara and Jake Connor to score.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 10-16 Leeds Rhinos

It took the Rhinos just five minutes to extend their lead.

James Donaldson ran a hard fast line towards the posts and managed to ground the ball with three Hull players on his back.

In the very next set, Brad Dwyer made a break from the halfway line, then passed back inside to Handley who showed enough pace to beat Connor and score his second of the night.

With 25 minutes of the game remaining, and Hull down by three converted try, a 40/20 from Connor looked to kick start the comeback.

The resulting set ended with Josh Griffin crashing over following a short ball from Jordan Johnstone at the ruck.

Marc Sneyd was the next to kick a 40/20 and a few tackles later Jack Brown powered over the line for a score.

Sneyd then converted to make it 22-28 with 18 minutes remaining.

Leeds took back control with ten minutes to go, as Gale’s crossfield kick was claimed by Liam Sutcliffe above Scott and Handley to score.

With five minutes to go, Handley’s hat-trick was secured after he picked off a pass from Connor and raced 60-metres to score.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 22-40 Leeds Rhinos


Hull FC

Connor, Faraimo, Fonua, Tuimavave, Scott, McNamara, Sneyd, Bowden, Johnstone, Sao, Griffin, Savelio, Fash

Interchanges: Wynne, Bienek, Satae, Brown

Tries: Fonua, Savelio, Griffin, Brown

Goals: Sneyd (4/5)

Leeds Rhinos

Walker, Briscoe, Sutcliffe, Hurrell, Handley, Myler, Gale, Seumanufagai, Leeming, Oledzki, Martin, Thompson, Prior

Interchanges: Dwyer, Donaldson, Smith, Holroyd

Tries: Walker (2), Handley (3), Donaldson, Sutcliffe

Goals: Martin (6/7)

Sin-Bin: Myler

Referee: B. Thaler

Touch Judges: T. Grant, C. Sharrad

Video Referee: J. Child

Image Source: @hullfcofficial (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: