Red Hot Saints hammer Trinity

Saints were gifted the first attacking chance after Alex Walker failed to deal with a long fifth tackle kick on his own try-line.

On the fourth tackle, Jack Welsby looked like he was being dragged into touch, but the youngster managed to offload the ball out of the tackle.

He ball landed in the arms of James Roby and the hooker walked over for the first points in the fourth minute.

Trinity were able to push themselves up the field with ease but couldn’t handle the Saints in defence.

After a few penalties, the reigning Champions swung the ball left and Tommy Makinson dotted down on the wing untouched.

The home side were certainly in control of the game, and as the half hour mark come up, James Roby picked up from the ruck, and snuck between Joe Westerman and Kelepi Tanginoa from a few metres out and scored his 100th try in Super League.

A fourth Saints try came minutes later after a barraging run from Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook put Trinity on the back foot, and then Alex Walmsley backed that up with a big carry of his own and charged over.

Lachlan Coote converted both tries to make it 20-0.

In the 35th minute, Makinson looked to have grabbed his second try as the Wakefield heads looked to drop.

The winger managed to get on the outside on Jack Croft on the right edge and grounded the ball while keeping his legs in the air and not in touch.

Saints should have grabbed a sixth try in their very next set after Welsby made a break down the left edge.

The centre should have passed inside but chose to flick the ball to Regan Grace but the pass was poor and drifted forward.

In the final minute before the break, Jonny Lomax, Theo Fages and Coote combined to create the overlap for Makinson, who stepped back inside and beat the tackle of Reece Lyne to score his hat-trick try.

HALF-TIME: St Helens 30-0 Wakefield Trinity

Saints pilled on the pressure again in the opening stages of the second half, nearly crossing through Theo Fages in the 50th minute.

However, the Frenchman couldn’t quite ground the loose ball.

In the 59th minute, Saints were close to scoring down the left edge, but Innes Senior picked off a pass from Lomax and outpaced Regan Grace and James Bentley to score by the posts after an 85 metre chase.

Ryan Hampshire converted to make it 30-6.

It took Saints until the 67th minute to get back on the board, and this time a short side move down the left was rewarded after Grace scored following Welsby’s quick catch and pass.

Lachlan Coote made a break through the middle of the Wakefield defence and passed to his left for Lewis Dodd who managed to get the ball to the ground despite being wrapped up by two Trinity defenders.

The huge St Helens win was wrapped up in the final minute as Makinson got on the outside once again before passing back inside to Kevin Naiqama who walked in past the overrunning defenders.

FULL-TIME: St Helens 48-6 Wakefield Trinity


St Helens

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Welsby, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Taia, Bentley, Knowles

Interchanges: McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Peyroux, Amor, Dodd

Tries: Roby (2), Makinson (3), Walmsley, Grace, Dodd, Naiqama

Goals: Coote (6/9)

Wakefield Trinity

Walker, Senior, Lyne, Croft, Johnstone, Jowitt, Hampshire, Green, Wood, Kopczak, Ashurst, Tanginoa, Westerman

Interchanges: Batchelor, Battye, Navarrete, Fifita

Tries: Senior

Goals: Hampshire (1/1)

Referee: R. Hicks

Touch Judges: J. Child, G. Jones

Video Referee: S. Mikalauskas

Image Source: @saints1890 (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: