Red Devils fightback to beat young Wolves

With both sides playing each other in the Challenge Cup semi-final on final, the Salford Red Devils and Warrington Wolves rotated their sides in their round 13 tie.

The opening ten minutes was very equal with the Wolves youngsters holding their own.

It took until the 17th minute for the first try, and it came for the visitors.

Riley Dean took the ball to the ball to the line, and threw a looped pass out the the right-wing, and Nathan Roebuck gathered above his head and raced into the corner to score.

The pass from Dean looked forward but was missed by the officials.

A second try followed just before the half-hour mark.

This time, Dec Patton on the left-edge, dummied to create space, and then popped the ball to Josh Thewlis to stroll through and score.

Four minutes later, another youngster grabbed a try.

Dean once again attacked the line, but this time stepped inside off his right foot, and then back inside Oliver Ashall-Bott for a score.

Salford did manage to score before the break though, a crossfield kick from Tom Gilmore was claimed by Elliot Kear above his head, and he then offload to his fellow countryman, Rhys Williams to dot down on the left wing.

HALF-TIME: Salford Red Devils 6-18 Warrington Wolves

Dean should have picked up his second try in the 45th minute, but the half-back failed to keep hold of the ball as he was tackled over the line.

With half an hour to go, the Red Devils pulled back an all important second try.

After a sweeping move ended with Williams wrapped up just a metre short of the line.

Elliot Kear picked up from dummy-half and stepped the blindside to score.

With an hour gone, the Red Devils were pushing for an equaliser, but both sides were sloppy with ball in hand, as well as in defence.

Ten minutes later, it was Warrington who extended their lead, or so it seemed.

Eribe Doro looked to crash over the line but the young forward failed to keep hold of the ball.

In Salford’s very next set, Andy Ackers broke down the middle of the park, and with just Thewlis to beat, the hooker passed to Gilmore, who, despite an ankle tap from Sitaleki Akuaolo, managed to get over the line and score.

Krisnan Inu converted to make it 18-18.

With two minutes remaining, Dean conceded a penalty for offside inside his own 20-metre line.

This allowed Inu to take a shot at goal and he duly delivered to make it 20-18 with just over a minute left on the clock.

FULL-TIME: Salford Red Devils 20-18 Warrington Wolves


Salford Red Devils

Ashall-Bott, Roberts, Inu, Kear, Williams, Gilmore, Atkin, Mossop, Jones, Ikahihifo, McCarthy, Ormondroyd, Burke

Interchanges: Ackers, Pauli, Lannon, Greenwood

Tries: Williams, Kear, Gilmore

Goals: Inu (4/4)

Warrington Wolves

Thewlis, Akauola, Wrench, Brand, Roebuck, Dean, Patton, Latu, Walker, Johnson, Robson, Davis

Interchanges: Kibula, Shelford, Doro, Oakley

Tries: Roebuck, Thewlis, Dean

Goals: Patton (3/3)

Referee: S. Mikalauskas

Touch Judges: C. Worsley, D. Bowmer

Video Referee: T. Grant

Image Source: @WarringtonRLFC (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: