Olam hat-trick secures Melbourne win

The Melbourne Storm welcomed back a host of stars to face the Manly Sea Eagles, as they looked to bounce back from just their third defeat of the season.

After picking up a penalty after a knee from Christian Welch to the head of Curtis Sironen, the Sea Eagles should have scored the first try/

Daly Cherry-Evans noticed plenty of room by Reuben Garrick so kicked across to his wing but despite being perfectly placed Garrick failed the ground the ball and let the Storm off the hook.

Just after the tenth minute, the opening score came, and it was Melbourne who picked it up.

Cameron Munster and Ryan Papenhuyzen pulled off simple hands out to Justin Olam, who broke through the Sea Eagles defence and slid over.

Manly hit straight back though as Martin Taupau took the ball to the line, and popped the ball to Addin Fonua-Blake to stroll through from short-range and score under the posts.

Just after the 20-minute mark, Cameron Smith looked to kick and 40/20 but the angle wasn’t quite enough as the ball headed towards the try-line.

Tevita Funa was tracking back to chase the ball but Josh Addo-Carr was too quick for the Manly full-back and picked up the ball and grounded for the lead.

Just a few minutes later, after another knock-on from Garrick, the Storm attacked from the scrum and picked up try number three.

Papenhuyzen skipped across the line and dropped a ball off back inside to Nelson Asofa-Solomona who barged over Joel Thompson for the try.

Both teams were beginning to force some plays towards the end of the half, which brought about a few errors and lots of sloppy play.

HALF-TIME: Melbourne Storm 14-6 Manly Sea Eagles

Manly should have pulled a score back in the early stages of the second half, as Brad Parker claimed Cherry-Evans’ crossfield kick. However, Jake Trbojevic and Cade Cust couldn’t communicate as both players attempt to catch the offload from Parker.

The Storm punished them for their lack of clinical finishing as Jahrome Hughes, Munster and Papenhuyzen combined early in the tackle count to spread the ball out to Addo-Carr who passed back inside to Olam for his second try.

With just 12-points between the two sides, Parker crossed in the right-hand corner for Manly but knocked the ball on, in the in-goal area.

Melbourne were all offside from the previous tackle but the quick tap came to nothing.

Isaac Lumelume was having a great debut for the Storm, and nearly picked up a vital try after good footwork down the right, but was held up.

The very next tackle, the ball found Olam who looked to stroll over but the pass from Chris Lewis was forward to the centre.

With 14-minutes to go, Olam finally picked up his hat-trick as Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr combined once again of the left-edge and the full-back offloaded to the centre to walk over and dot down.

The next ten minutes were very back and forth with both sides playing sloppy rugby once again. More so from Manly who were pushing for more points.

In the final seconds, Munster picked up a poor kick from Cherry-Evans and get in behind the Storm.

He then passed out to Addo-Carr to run away and score under the posts.

FULL-TIME: Melbourne Storm 30-6 Manly Sea Eagles


Melbourne Storm

Papenhuyzen, Seve, Olam, Lumelume, Addo-Carr, Munster, Hughes, J. Bromwich, C. Smith, Welch, Kaufusi, Faasuamaleaui, Asofa-Solomona

Interchanges: Hynes, Schonig, Lewis, Vete

Tries: Olam (3), Addo-Carr (2), Asofa-Solomona

Goals: C. Smith (3/6)

Manly Sea Eagles

Funa, Taufua, Parker, Hopoate, Garrick, Cust, Cherry-Evans, Fonua-Blake, Levi, Taupau, Thompson, Sironen, Trbojevic

Interchanges: Gosiewski, Croker, Keppie, Paseka

Tries: Fonua-Blake

Goals: Garrick (1/1)

Referee: G. Atkins

Touch Judges: P. Henderson, P. Gough

Video Referee: H. Perenara


Image Source: @NRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: