Storm too strong for Roosters at SCG

The two most dominant clubs of recent times faced off as the Melbourne Storm travelled to the Sydney Roosters in a battle between the second and fourth-placed sides.

In an explosive start to the game, the Storm were the first to put points on the board as Jahrome Hughes decided not to kick on the last and ran the ball back to the short side.

He stepped past Luke Keary and Jake Friend, before ducking under the tackle of James Tedesco and stretching over to score.

Ten minutes later, Christian Tuipulotu made a break from his own 30-metre line, but it was called back for an obstruction from Siosiua Taukeiaho.

This allowed Papenhuyzen to add two more points from the tee and push Melbourne out to an eight-point lead.

Just before the 20th minute, a high bomb from Hughes wasn’t claimed by either Suliasi Vunivalu or Tuipulotu and with the ball loose in the in-goal area, Felise Kaufusi dived on top of the ball to score.

However, Vunivalu knocked the ball forward in the air and the try was disallowed much to the delight of Sydney.

The Storm were determined to score again though as they shifted the ball to the left edge, with Papenhuyzen and Josh Addo-Carr combining to release the full-back, who then passed back outside to Justin Olam to slide over.

Just after the half-hour mark, the Storm found themselves deep in the Roosters half once again.

Hughes kicked towards Tuipulotu once again, and but Vunivalu out jumped his opposite number, tapped it back, and after a knock-on from Tedesco, the bank was claimed by Papenhuyzen to dot down.

Unfortunately for Craig Bellamy’s side, Vunivalu stepped onto the touchline before touching the ball and yet another try was disallowed.

With a few minutes left until the break, Papenhuyzen failed to claim a high kick which gave the Roosters an attacking scrum on the 10-metre line in midfield.

An error from Josh Morris meant the Storm came away unscathed.

HALF-TIME: Sydney Roosters 0-14 Melbourne Storm

A mistake from rookie Tuipouluto gave the Storm an early attacking scrum inside the Roosters half, and once again the ball was pushed out to Justin Olam through Brandon Smith and the centre brushed off the desperate Sydney defence for his second of the night.

Melbourne continued their march through the Roosters, as Hughes dummied to break through on the half-way line on Keary’s inside shoulder and with just Tedesco to beat, passed inside to Kaufusi to dot down under the posts.

With an hour gone, the Storm were still on top of the Roosters in terms of both possession and territory.

With 15 minutes to go, the Roosters finally got themselves on the board.

Luke Keary and Lachlan Lam combined as they shifted the ball left out wide to Tuipulotu and the debutant dived over to score.

The Storm managed to hold firm for the next ten minutes despite the Roosters best efforts to pick up another score.

FULL-TIME: Sydney Roosters 6-24 Melbourne Storm


Sydney Roosters

Tedesco, Ikuvalu, Morris, Manu, Tuipulotu, Keary, Lam, Taukeiaho, Friend, Butcher, Tupouniua, Aubusson, Liu

Interchanges: Collins, Hutchinson, Faamausili, Fifita

Tries: Tuipulotu

Goals: Taukeiaho (1/1)

Melbourne Storm

Papenhuyzen, Vunivalu, Olam, Lee, Addo-Carr, Jacks, Hughes, J. Bromwich, Smith, Welch, Kaufusi, K. Bromwich, Finucane

Interchanges: Eisenhuth, Hynes, Faasuamaleaui, Asofa-Solomona

Tries: Hughes, Olam (2), Kaufusi

Goals: Papenhuyzen (4/5)

Referee: G. Sutton

Touch Judges: T. Smith, P. Gough

Video Referee: B. Galea

Image Source: 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: