Rabbitohs keep Eels scoreless in drubbing

The South Sydney Rabbitohs looked to move closer to the top four as they travelled to Bankwest Stadium to face a Parramatta Eels side who’d only lost three times all season.

South Sydney nearly gifted a try to the Eels as Latrell Mitchell allowed a high bomb to bounce, with the ball ending up in the hands of Maika Sivo.

However, the Fijian winger’s pass back inside was miles forwards.

Just a few minutes later though, the Rabbitohs attacked down their potent left edge, and after a swift catch and pass from Mitchell, Corey Allan found himself on the outside to run ten-metres to score.

The Rabbitohs were struggling to contain Parramatta but handling errors from the home side meant they couldn’t get past the half-way line.

Just before the 20-minute mark, Steven Marsters find himself one-on-one with Michael Jennings, held off the veteran to drag in Sivo, and then flicked a pass out to Jaxson Paulo to score in the corner.

The Eels then gifted South Sydney a third try as Nathan Brown struggled to control a kick back inside with Adam Reynolds chasing him.

Luckily, Clint Gutherson picked up the loose ball and grounded it for a goal-line drop-out.

On the half-hour mark, Renyolds, skipped across the line and popped the ball to half-back partner Cody Walker, who punched through the gap.

Walker beat Gutherson on the inside and accelerated under the posts for try number three.

Reynolds converted to make it 0-16.

In the very next set, Walker broke again, and released Campbell Graham, who then got to within ten-metres.

On the fifth tackle, Reynolds dribbled a kick back against the grain down the shortside, and Jayden Su’A was quickest to react as he gathered and span out the desperate tackle from Sivo and scored.

Reynolds attempted a long-range field goal in the final seconds of the half but it drifted just short and wide.

HALF-TIME: Parramatta Eels 0-22 South Sydney Rabbitohs

It took the Eels until the tenth minute of the second half to get themselves on the board as Dylan Brown made a beak through the middle of the Souths defence and outpaced Mitchell to slide over in the corner.

However, Gutherson was obstructing Junior Tatola in the defensive line, and the try was scrubbed off and the score remained 0-22.

In his attempt to stop Brown from crossing, Mitchell picked up a hamstring injury under the pressure of Paulo coming down on the back of his leg.

Despite Mitchell being off the field, the visitors crossed again.

It didn’t matter who played on the left-wing for the Bunnies as Cameron Murray filled in at left-centre, and pulled off a quick catch and pass for Campbell Graham in the corner to score.

The Eels were working themselves back into the game, but the final passes outwide to Ferguson couldn’t find the mark.

Just after the hour mark, Ryan Matterson was the man who seemed to finally pick up some points for Parramatta as he crashed over.

However, Matterson ran into Shaun Lane and yet another try was disallowed for obstruction.

The Rabbitohs picked up try number six, as Reynolds attacked the right edge, released Jaxson Paulo, who broke through the tackles of Jennings and Matterson, and offloaded back inside to Reynolds for a try.

With ten minutes to go, Graham picked up his second for the Bunnies.

Walker brushed off a tackle, to push the ball to Allan.

The full-back then whipped the ball to Graham, who stepped back inside Blake and Gutherson to walk in.

The Eels found themselves deep inside the South Sydney half in the final two minutes, but the visitors held on firm and knocked over the third-paced side.

FULL-TIME: Parramatta Eels 0-38 South Sydney Rabbitohs


Parramatta Eels

Gutherson, Sivo, Jennings, Blake, Ferguson,D. Brown, Moses, Campbell-Gillard, Mahoney, Paulo, Lane, Matterson,N. Brown

Interchanges: Stone, Davey, Evans, Kaufusi



South Sydney Rabbitohs

Mitchell, Allan, Graham, Marsters, Paulo, Walker, Reynolds, Tatola, Cook, Burgess, Su’A, Sironen, Murray

Interchanges: Nicholls, Knight, Mago, Koloamatangi

Tries: Allan, Paulo, Walker. Su’A, Graham (2), Reynolds

Goals: Reynolds (5/7)

Referee: G. Sutton

Touch Judges: D. Munro, Z. Przeklasa-Adamski

Video Referee: B. Norrie

Image Source: @NRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: