Titans late charge shocks Dragons

The Dragons looked to move within two points of the top-eight but would face a tough ask against an improving Gold Coast Titans sides.

The opening ten minutes flew by with both sides doing their best to break through the others defensive line

The game was still scoreless after the 20-minute mark, but a penalty to St George allowed them to take the lead through the boot of Zac Lomax.

After taking a slender lead, the Dragons camped deep inside the Titans half and should have picked up the first try.

However, AJ Brimson cleaned up Corey Norman’s kick.

Brian Kelly made a break in midfield with just under seven minutes to go until the break to release Ash Taylor.

Phillip Sami ended up with the ball, but the fifth tackle play didn’t work out for the visitors.

A few minutes later, Mikaele Ravalawa appeared to lose the ball before his own try-line and Sami picked up and grounded.

After a second viewing, Ravalawa was deemed to have been tackled before the ball was released, and the Dragons got away without conceding.

The Dragons were determined to score a try before the break and after the hooter, a last-ditch high-bomb from Lomax only found Corey Thompson.

The Titans full-back found a gap and looked to score his own solo wonder try but was wrapped up on half-way.

HALF-TIME: St George Illawarra Dragons 2-0 Gold Coast Titans

The Dragons started the brighter of the two sides, as they did in the first half, and the Titans looked to be holding firm.

Tyson Frizell began to take things into his own hands as his hard running was setting a good platform for his side.

It was his second-row partner who picked up the try though as Jacob Host was the recipient of a short ball from Ben Hunt at dummy-half and crashed straight through Brimson to score.

The Titans hit straight back as an offload from Jarrod Wallace caught the Dragons off guard and Erin Clark pushed the ball to Sami who dived over in the corner.

Errors and penalties came from both sides after the Gold Coast scored, but it was the visitors playing the better of the two.

With just under ten minutes to go, Keagan Hipgrave was penalised for taking Lomax out off the ball following a kick from Norman.

This allowed the centre to kick for goal and pushed the Dragons out to a six-point lead.

In the 75th minute, the last tackle kick from Jamal Fogarty bounced off the left-hand upright and into the hands of Tyrone Peachey on the bounce and grounded.

Taylor converted to level the scores at 10-10.

In the very next attacking set from the Titans, Brimson broke through a weak Dragons defence, and with just Dufty to beat, passed inside to Fogarty and the half-back did enough to beat the tackle of Ravalawa to score.

FULL-TIME: St George Illawarra Dragons 10-14 Gold Coast Titans


St George Illawarra Dragons

Dufty, Pereira, Aitken, Lomax, Ravalawa, Norman, Clune, Lawrie, Hunt, Kerr, Frizell, Host, McInnes

Interchanges: Ellis, Merrin, Ford, Brittain

Tries: Host

Goals: Lomax (3/3)

Gold Coast Titans

Brimson, Thompson, Kelly, Tonumaipea, Sami, Taylor, Fogarty, Wallace, Rein, Jolliffe, Stone, Fermor, Peachey

Interchanges: Clark, Lisone, Hipgrave, Whitbread

Tries: Sami, Peachey, Fogarty

Goals: Taylor (1/2), Fogarty (0/1)

Referee: H. Perenara

Touch Judges: J. Stone, L. Kennedy

Video Referee: B. Scott

Image Source: @NRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: