Pressure on McGregor as Dragons lose to Bulldogs

In the battle between two winless teams, both the Bulldogs and the Dragons faced-off at BankWest Stadium to climb off the bottom of the ladder.

The Dragons were the first on the board after 3 minutes after Lachlan Lewis was penalised for holding down in the luck and Zac Lomax converted from the tee for an early two-point lead.

The visitors nearly picked up the first try five minutes later though as Ben Hunt’s high bomb was close to finding Lomax but the centre couldn’t quite grab the ball and knocked on.

After conceding plenty of errors while having the ball in hand, the Bulldogs then found Reimis Smith under-report after what looked like a knee to the head of Mikaele Ravalawa in the ruck.

Despite the errors racking up against them, Canterbury picked up the first try of the night.

After winning a goal-line drop-out, they marched straight up the middle of the field, and it was ADam Elliott who took the ball to the line and through the tackle of Cameron McInnes and Tyson Frizell to score.

Nick Meaney converted for a 6-2 lead.

The Bulldogs four-point lead soon became six, as Frizell was penalised for holding on in the ruck and Meaney was again successful with the penalty.

More Errors from St George was allowing Canterbury to pepper the try line and look to extend their lead after an offside from the goal-line drop-out.

Another penalty meant Meaney could make it 10-2.

With five minutes to go until the break, the Dragons tried to work their way back into Bulldogs territory but the defence from the home side was too strong.

HALF-TIME: Canterbury Bulldogs 10-2 St George Illawarra Dragons

In the opening ten minutes of the second half, the Dragons made four further errors, which were then punished by the impressive Nick Meaney.

With the Bulldogs camped deep inside the St George half, the ball was spread from right to left and finally found the winger with plenty of space on the outside and dotted down in the corner.

He converted his own try for 16-2 after 50 minutes.

The Bulldogs were pushing to put the game to bed over the next few sets but the Dragons managed to hold firm and for the next 15 minutes the game continued in a back-and-forth fashion with the game still in the balance.

That was until the 70th minutes when the Dragons looked to pick up their first try of the night. a half-break from Adam Clune allowed the visitors to shift the ball out wide to Jordan Pereira who dived over in the corner.

However, Dallin Watene-Zelekniak managed to get across to the winger and put enough pressure on Pereira to knock-on in the air.

Things went from bad to worse for the Dragons when Reimis Smith crossed the line a minute later.

On a fifth tackle play, Lachlan Lewis sent a crossfield kick over to Smith, who managed to outjump Pereira in the air, grabbed the ball and fell over the line to score.

Meaney was again successful from the boot at the Bulldogs led by 20 with less than ten minutes to go.

The Dragons were determined to pick up a try though and went straight back upfield to get one on the board.

However, the Bulldogs defence was too strong for the team in red and they came away with nothing.

With five minutes to go, both sides were sharing errors with Canterbury doing a good job of holding out for the victory.

With two minutes to go, and kick from Adam Clune forced a goal-line drop-out from the Bulldogs but a poor showing from the Dragons meant they once again failed to score and Canterbury closed the game out.

This left the Dragons at the foot of the table and meant Canterbury picked up a much needed two points.

FULL-TIME: Canterbury Bulldogs 22-2 St George Illawarra Dragons


Canterbury Bulldogs

Watene-Zelezniak, Meaney, Smith, Hopoate, Averillo, Foran, Lewis, Tolman, Marshall-King, Napa, Jackson, Elliott, Faitala-Mariner

Interchanges: Britt, To’omaga, Sue, Holland

Tries: Elliott, Meaney, Smith

Goals: Meaney (5/5)

St George Illawarra Dragons

Norman, Pereira, Williame, Lomax, Ravalawa, Hunt, Clune, Kerr, McInnes, Vaughan, Frizell, Sims, Graham

Interchanges: Merrin, Lawrie, Luke, Aitken


Goals: Lomax (1/1)

Referee: H. Perenara

Touch Judges: T. Smith, G. Badger

Video Referee: B. Norrie

Image Source: @NRL (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: