Match Report: Warrington Wolves vs Hull FC

Warrington Wolves looked for redemption in Super League after the loss to Catalans at Wembley, and they managed to do that in spectacular fashion despite Hull having eight extra days to prepare for this fixture.

The Wolves started perfectly through Josh Charnley on the right hand edge. Mike Cooper offloaded the ball, catching the Hull FC defence off guard and Toby King released Charnley, who dotted down. Tyrone Roberts converted for the Wolves for an early 6-0 lead.

Warrington were looking to take control in both attack and defence with huge tackles from Cooper and Bryson Goodwin but a sloppy penalty from Roberts gave the Black and Whites the ball just 40 metres out.

This set the platform for Hull FC to level the scores as Toby King failed to claim a high Jordan Abdull kick against Fetuli Talanoa, and the Tongan was quickest to react to the loose ball and touch down for his 13th try of the season.

There was free-flowing from the opening whistle as Warrington pushed for a play-off birth, and Hull for a strong end to the season.

Warrington again took the lead through Toby King, with thanks from the TMO. A pin-point kick from Roberts landed perfectly into the centre’s hands who made up for his earlier error to move the Wolves in front. Roberts converted to make it 12-6 after only 15 minutes.

Warrington stretched their lead again, with Goodwin on the end of a wonderful team try. It all started with a looping Stefan Ratchford pass to Tom Lineham who broke down the left edge and offloaded into the prying hands of Goodwin to dot down for the Wolves. Roberts converted again to make it 18-6.

Ratchford was running the show in attack for Warrington and the Wolves nearly scored a third in five minutes but a loose pass from the Warrington full-back meant they Hull were let off the hook.

Hull FC conceded yet another penalty on the half-way line and it allowed Goodwin to score his second, and Warrington’s fourth, after Kevin Brown took the ball right up to the defensive line and pushed the ball to centre who’s hard line was too good for the Hull defence to read. Roberts made it four from four to make it 24 points in 24 minutes.

The Wolves fifth try followed just four minutes later after a huge miscommunication in defence from Talanoa and Jamie Shaul underneath a Tyrone Roberts high-ball meant that the ball was fumbled and Toby King pounced and stretched over the line for his second of the night. Roberts missed his first conversion attempt of the night to make it 28-6 after half an hour.

The Wolves were not slowing down before the break either as they were gifted a fresh-set of six from a Talanoa dropped ball. Warringtons sixth try of the night followed.

Jack Hughes was the try-scorer as he used his superior size and power to run over the top of Liam Harris and Dean Hadley to make the score 34-6.

No more points came in the first half, as the play settled down towards to break with both sides completing their sets well.

Half-Time: Warrington Wolves 34-6 Hull FC

The second-half started just as the first-half ended. Bryson Goodwin completed his hat-trick for the Wire as Daryl Clark changed direction mid-air, stepped past the defensive line and then delivered his kick on a platter for Goodwin to slide over. Roberts converted again to make it 40-6.

Hull tried the short-kick off, which they gathered, and then managed to win a penalty to start their set 10 metres out from the Warrington line, However, a Faraimo offload was collected by Kevin Brown who cleared the danger for Warrington.

This was the start of another well created try, which was again finished off by Goodwin, for his fourth of the night, as the ball was spread from right to left and Goodwin powered through the sluggish Black and Whites defence. Roberts added the extras to make it 46-6.

A dangerous tackle from Ben Pomeroy gave the Black and Whites a little bit of hope, and after throwing the ball around from the second tackle onwards, Josh Griffin powered through the Warrington line for what seemed like a consolation to make it 46-10 with 30 minutes remaining.

However, Hull were once again given field position after a Stefan Ratchford forward pass just 5 metres from his own line but Jordan Lane couldn’t gather the ball for the Black and Whites. This was followed by a knock-on from Faraimo to give the Wire the ball just inside the Hull half, but sloppy play from the Wolves meant it came to nothing.

The Ayrlie Birds were showing more passion in the second half and Warrington looked as though they were starting the struggle as the five day turnaround was starting to show.

Hull started a set 20 metres out following high tackle from Pomeroy but it came to nothing for the Yorkshire side due to strong Warrington defence.

Despite the scoreline, Hull looked the faster and stronger of the two sides going into the final 20 minutes but they were let down by handling errors once inside the 10 metre line.

Liam Harris conceded a penalty to slow down the Warrington Wolves and Goodwin broke 40 metres to the half-way line, it left Warrington just 15 metres out from the Hull line.

Warrington took advantage of this, and Joe Philbin powered over from dummy-half unexpectedly and with insufficient evidence to prove that the ball had been touched down, TMO Robert Hicks had to agree with Liam Moore’s decision. Roberts slotted the extras and made it 52-10.

Hull then captured their own kick-off and Dean Hadley managed to get within 2 metres of the Warrington try line as a penalty was given to the Black and Whites.

However, a loose pass from the Hull side, allowed Tyrone Roberts to kick the ball to the half-way line, and was held back by Jordan Abdull. Charnley thought he had scored his second of the night, but referee Liam Moore blew his whistle too early and apologised for not playing advantage.

This made no difference to Warrington in the end though, as within 2 minutes Charnley did manage to secure his second of the night. The winger slid in the right corner after beautiful hands from the Wolves backs allowed the ball to be spread from left to right for the Wolves tenth try of the night. Roberts made it nine out of ten conversions to make it 58-10 with ten minutes remaining.

It didn’t end there for Warrington however, Roberts got a well deserved try of his own, as George King offloaded to Ratchford, who stepped through the exhausted Hull defence and an inside ball to Roberts, meant he could slid under neath the posts. The half-back converted his own try and made it 64-10 to the Wolves.

Hull were just not good enough for the rampant Wolves as Tom Lineham scored the 12th try of the night, as Lane gave yet another penalty away for the Black and Whites and on the first play of the set, Cooper offloaded and Kevin Brown placed a grubber kick perfectly into the dead-ball area for Lineham to touch down. Roberts failed with the conversion and Warrington lead 68-10 with 5 minutes remaining.

It was champagne rugby from the Wolves, as the Ratchford used his dancing feet to ghost his way through the Hull line to score Warringtons 13th try of the night. Roberts yet again converted the try to make it 74-10.

Warrington ended the night with another try, and made it a record Super League defeat for Hull FC. Tom Lineham made a big break down the left hand touchline and kicked the ball back inside for Dec Patton and Bryson Goodwin to chase on, and it was Goodwin who won the race and dotted down for his fifth and Warringtons 14th try of the night. Roberts added the conversion and the final score was 80-10.

Full Time: Warrington Wolves 80-10 Hull FC

Sky’s Man of the Match: Bryson Goodwin – Five tries for the Warrington centre was the highlight of his night but he was a machine in defence, especially in the first half and it was well deserved.

My Man of the Match: Toby King – Despite his early mistake for Hull’s first try, he held his head high and managed to rectify that error to score two tries of his own. He was also great in defence and in assisting Charnley for this double as well.

Warrington Wolves:

Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, T. King, Charnley, Brown, Roberts, Hill, Clark, Cooper, Murdoch-Masila, Thompson, Hughes.

Subs: Patton, Philbin, G.King, Pomeroy.


Tries: Goodwin (5), Charnley (2). T.King (2), Hughes, Philbin, Roberts, Lineham, Ratchford

Goals: Roberts (12/14)

Hull FC:

Shaul, Faraimo, Griffin, Tuimavave, Talanoa, Abdull, Harris, Taylor, Houghton, Paea, Washbrook, Hadley, Manu.

Subs: Bienek, Lane, Litten, Matongo

Tries: Talanoa, Griffin

Goals: Faraimo (1/2)





Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: