Warrington poor, but Hull worse in disappointing game at KCOM

With both sides winning by just a single point last week, Hull FC and Warrington were looking for a more assured performance this time out at the KCOM Stadium.

Anthony Gelling returned to the Warrington Wolves line-up this week despite the ongoing police investigation into his behaviour away from club, but it was another Warrington player who made the first impact.

Blake Austin and his twinkle toes broke back inside the Hull line and the half-back stretched the ball onto the try line under the posts for the first try after just four minutes.

Albert Kelly did manage to push Hull forward and towards the Wire line but Steve Price’s men managed to hold out.

A poor exit set from Hull allowed Warrington to start inside the Airlie Birds half, with Wolves beginning to build some pressure.

A lengthy break followed after Mahe Fonua picked up a heavy knock in a tackle with the winger leaving the field with a broken rib.

That didn’t stop Hull though as they managed to force a goal-line drop out with a third tackle kick from the boot of Marc Sneyd.

Hull seemed to be all over the place as when a Danny Houghton wasn’t looking at a restart as Warrington dived on the ball. Fortunately for the hooker, Josh Griffin’s defence made Gelling slide into touch.

At the resulting scrum, the shot-clock ran dead, resulting in a differential penalty to Warrington.

A penalty for obstruction once again saved Lee Radford’s side from any blushes.

Both sides were struggling with containing the ball in attack with a number of handling errors, with the next 10 minutes of the game played at an embarrassing low level.

The level dropped even further as another error from Hull FC was punished by Warrington.

After Jordan Lane failed to gather a simple pass from Danny Houghton, Danny Walker picked up the loose ball which was shifted out to Tom Lineham.

The winger then raced down the left edge and using the wet surface, slid over from five metres out. Ratchford converted from the sideline for a 0-12 scoreline just before the break.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 0-12 Warrington Wolves

The second half started brighter for Hull FC, as an interception from Carlos Tuimavave put them on the front foot.

With Warrington’s defensive line not set, the home side looked to exploit any gaps they could find.

However, Albert Kelly’s poor kick was smothered by Ben Currie.

This positive start didn’t last long as Warrington battered the Hull line with back-to-back sets on the home sides line. The ball was moved from right to left, and Toby King offloaded out of the tackle of Josh Jones and Kelly to Gareth Widdop who extended his sides lead.

The returning Gelling was the next to cross the line, but a try-saving tackle from Marc Sneyd made the centre trip and drop the ball short of the line.

Just a few minutes later, Gelling did get his try after the link up play between Widdop and Austin created a huge gap for the Cook Island international to glide through and score.

Warrington seemed to turn it up a gear, as this time, Ben Murdoch-Masila charged through a tired and disinterested Hull defence to score under the posts.

With 15 minutes of the game remaining, Wire looked to have scored their sixth try.

Austin’s dribbled kick through seemed to be comfortably going dead, but Stefan Ratchford managed to get there first. Unfortunately, the bounce of the ball meant the full-back couldn’t ground the ball to pick up the four points.

Hull looked odds on to pick up a try of their own in the next set, but Albert Kelly dropped the ball with the line at his mercy.

That sixth try for Wire did eventually come, as Daryl Clark found some space in the midfield after a Mike Cooper offload and passed to the on-running Widdop, who stepped back inside the Hull FC defence to pick up his second.

Despite being 32 points ahead, the ruthlessness of the Wolves didn’t stop, as Blake Austin, once again used his footwork to break through, and despite the best efforts of Jordan Johnstone, the half-back managed to dot down.

Hull started a set right in front of the Warrington posts as they attempted not to get nilled. A poor fifth tackle kick from Marc Sneyd landed straight in the hands of Widdop as they snuffed out the Airlie Birds once again.

The home side were determined not to be nilled though and took advantage of the final play of the game as the ball was spread wide to Kieran Buchanan, who slid over to score.

Back-to-Back wins for Warrington propel them a little further up the table, but a first away win in Super League for 8 months will boost their confidence, despite a less than perfect performance.

With performances like this becoming frequent at Hull FC, could a few more bad defeats mean that a new coach could be on the horizon at the KCOM.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 4-38 Warrington Wolves


Hull FC

Shaul, Fonua, Tuimavave, Griffin, Buchanan, Kelly, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Satae, Jones, Lane, Bowden.

Interchanges: Brown, Fash, Johnstone, Matongo

Tries: Buchanan

Goals: Sneyd (0/1)

Warrington Wolves

Ratchford, Lineham, King, Gelling, Charnley, Austin, Widdop, Hill, Walker, Cooper, Currie, Murdoch-Masila, J. Clark

Interchanges: D. Clark, Philbin, Mamo, Akauola

Tries: Austin (2), Lineham, Widdop (2), Gelling, Murdoch-Masila

Goals: Ratchford (4/6), Widdop (1/1)

Referee: C. Kendall

Touch Judges: M. Craven, L. Moore

Video Referee: R. Hicks

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: