Match Report: Catalans Dragons vs St Helens

An improved Catalans Dragons frustrated St Helens and halted the visitors unbeaten start to the season with a 18-10 victory.

With both Jonny Lomax and Theo Fages unavailable, Saints started the game with Danny Richardson and youngster Jack Welsby in the halves.

The first try of the game came via the Saint. It was the returning Richardson who chipped the ball over the top and Dominque Peyroux out paced the Dragons defence to score.

Lachlan Coote converted to make it 6-0.

They were pulled back five minutes later after Fouad Yaha dived on top of a Sam Tomkins grubber kick before his opposite number Tommy Makinson to score.

Tomkins was successful from the boot and the scores were level.

The next score came in the 25th minute as the visitors took the lead once more as Tommy Makinson flew over in the corner. Coote dragged the conversion wide and the Saints led 6-10 with just under 15 minutes until the half.

Tomkins scored the the next try of the game to level the scores.

The ball rebounding into his arms and sliding into the corner. He couldn’t convert his own try and the score stayed 10-10.

The rain stopped as the half drew to a close with the sun starting to beam down in the players but knock-ons were happening regularly.

In the final minute of the half, the Dragons won a penalty just inside the Saints half. Tomkins opted to kick for goal but the ball ricocheted off the upright.

HALF-TIME: Catalans Dragons 10-10 St Helens

With the rain bipolar weather returning in the second half the game  continued in a sloppy and ill-disciplined manner.

Catalans scored the first points of the half and took a two-point lead thanks to a Tomkins penalty.

With just under an hour of the game played, the home side were starting to take control of the game.

However, dissent from Tony Gigot towards referee Robert Hick relieved the visitors of any increasing pressure.

The Saints were on top of the Dragons in the ten minutes that followed but could not break the French sides strong defence.

A knock-on from Luke Thompson inside his own half gave Catalans a perfect opportunity to close the game out.

That is exactly what they did as Lucas Albert dribbled a kick behind the Saints defence and Tony Gigot was quickest to react and dived on the ball to score for a six point lead.

Tomkins converted successfully once more to make it 18-10 with five minutes remaining.

Ill-discipline from the Dragons followed as the Saints looked to cut the deficit in the closing stages but a forward pass from Percival to Zeb Taia was the final play of the game as Saints 100% start to the season was ended.

FULL-TIME: Catalans Dragons 18-10 St Helens


Catalans Dragons:

Sam Tomkins, Fouad Yaha, Samisoni Langi, Brayden Williame, Lewis Tierney, Tony Gigot, Matty Smith, Julian Bousquet, Alrix Da Costa, Sam Moa, Benjamin Jullien, Matt Whitley, Remi Casty.

Interchanges: Greg Bird, Mickael Goudemand, Lucas Albert, Sam Kasiano

Tries: Fouad Yaha, Sam Tomkins, Tony Gigot

Goals: Sam Tomkins (3/5)


St Helens:

Lachlan Coote, Tommy Makinson, Kevin Naiqama, Mark Percival, Regan Grace, Jack Welsby, Danny Richardson, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Luke Thompson, Zeb Taia, Dominique Peyroux, Morgan Knowles

Interchanges: Junior Paulo, Kyle Amor, Matty Lees, Matty Ashworth

Tries: Dominque Peyroux, Tommy Makinson

Goals: Lachlan Coote (1/2)


IMAGE SOURCE: St Helens – Twitter

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: