Hull claim tight win after Trinity fightback

In the first game since the league table restructure yesterday, eighth played ninth as Hull FC faced off against Wakefield Trinity with the away side hoping to move away from the bottom two.

Wakefield starter the slightly stronger, forcing an early goal-line drop-out.

Just before the drop-out was taken, Andre Savelio was taken off the field after he seemed to break his nose on the head of teammate Danny Houghton in a tackle.

However, at the end of the resulting set, Reece Lyne’s pass out the Ben Jones-Bishop was too high.

After soaking up some early pressure, it was Hull who picked up the opening try.

Connor Wynne was skipping across the Wakefield line, looking for a gap, but found Jordan Lane running onto the ball, and the second-rower crashed over.

The black and whites looked to double their lead just before the 20th minute as he used his strength to get through the tackle of Bill Tupou and Max Jowitt, and twisted enough to ground the ball in the corner.

After minutes of deliberation by the video referee, the try was awarded

Just a few minutes later, Trinity were back in the game as they punished a knock on from Bureta Faraimo.

Josh Wood took the ball to the line from the ruck, and popped the ball to Max Jowitt, who crashed over.

In Wakefield’s very next set, they were level.

Jones-Bishop made a beautiful break down the right edge, and with just Wynne to beat, past back inside to Jowitt for his second.

The game turned a little scrappy as both sides looked to get a grip hold of the match.

In the 37th minute, it was the home side who regained the lead.

A quick catch and pass from Andre Savelio, close to the line, put Adam Swift in some space on the left.

Despite picking the ball up by his ankles, and slipping over, the winger still managed to do enough to beat Tupou and score in the corner.

With Hull FC leading by two points in the final seconds of the half, Ryan Hampshire opted for a drop-goal to cut the deficit to just one.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 14-13 Wakefield Trinity

With the teams separated by just a point, both sides were holding firm in defence, doing their best to stop the other.

In the 54th minute, a cross field kick from Jake Connor was tapped back by Mahe Fonua Agra’s of Tupou and into the hands of Andre Savelio who crashed over and extend the lead.

Connor concerted to make it 20-13 with 25 minutes remaining.

Trinity should have hit back as Kelepi Tanginoa broke on the left-edge and put Connor Bailey in open space.

With the try-line at his mercy, the young half-back looked to pass inside but the ball was picked off.

Just after the hour mark, Lane grabbed his second thanks to yet another kick from Connor.

The half-back dropped the ball onto his foot, with the ball ricocheting off Reece Lyne into the hands of Lane for an easy score.

With ten minutes to go, Wakefield hit back once again, as they refused to give up.

Tanginoa picked the ball up on the left edge, and stepped three times back across the grain before finding a gap and accelerating over the line for a score.

Ryan Hampshire converted to cut the gap back to seven.

Wynne made a tackle on young Connor Bailey after he made a break but held on for too long and would spend the remainder of the game in the sin-bin.

Two sets laters, Tanginoa had crossed again for Wakefield after Joe Westerman and Jowitt combined to send the big second-rower crashing over.

Hampshire missed the conversion, meaning Wakefield had to score a try to win the game.

Hull FC had ball in hand come in the final minute, and Fonua was wrapped up on the hooter, as the home side claimed the win.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 26-23 Wakefield Trinity


Hull FC

Wynne, Swift, Fonua, Scott, Faraimo, Kelly, Connor, Bowden, Houghton, Fash, Lane, Savelio, Cator

Interchanges: Satae, Matongo, Buchanan, Brown

Tries: Lane (2), Swift (2), Savelio

Goals: Connor (3/5)

Sin-Bins: Wynne

Wakefield Trinity

Jowitt, Senior, Tupou, Lyne, Jones-Bishop, Bailey, Hampshire, Kopczak, Crowther, King, Tanginoa, Pitts, Westerman

Interchanges: J. Wood, Green, Gwaze, Aydin

Tries: Jowitt (2), Tanginoa (2)

Goals: Hampshire (3/4)

Drop-Goals: Hampshire

Referee: M. Griffiths

Touch Judges: M. Craven, A. Martin

Video Referee: J. Child

Image Source: @SuperLeague (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: