Giants win at last as Trinity lose again

The Huddersfield Giants, fresh off the exit of Simon Woolford, travelled to face a inconsistent Wakefield Trinity side looking to move towards the top-eight.

They game didn’t start too brightly for Wakefield after Liam Kay picked up a knock to his shoulder, ending his afternoon early.

The Giants started the faster, but Trinity were holding firm.

That lasted until the 20th minute when Aiden Sezer drew in the defence and sent Chris McQueen on his way to score from 20-metres out for his first try for Huddersfield.

Wakefield then lost debutant Eddie Battye to a cut on his head, and just minutes later, the Giants lead was doubled.

Sezer once again took the ball in hand and dropped the ball to Suaia Matagi who powered through a gap from 10-metres out to score.

Wakefield began to build pressure as the game ticked past the half-hour mark but the goal-line defence from Huddersfield kept them 12-points ahead.

Wakefield had another attacking chance just before the half, as they looked to hammer their way over the line, they then kicked to the corner but Leroy Cudjoe cleaned up the ball with ease.

Right on the half-time hooter, Jordan Turner received the ball 15-metres out from the line, and nudge the ball over the posts to make it 0-13.

HALF-TIME: Wakefield Trinity 0-13 Huddersfield Giants

Once again, the Giants started the brighter as they dominated the possession early in the half.

Ill-discipline, and multiple set-restarts was taking its toll on a tiring Trinity defensive line and James Gavet crashed over from short range to dot down.

A magic moment from Sezer extended the lead further for the Giants just a minute later.

The half-back batted the ball over the top of the onrushing Wakefield defence before regathering before the ball hit the floor and raced clear to score.

The one-sided contest continued as the Giants exposed a space down the short side as Darnell McIntosh stabbed a kick forward, which was chased down by Jake Wardle who slipped out of the hands of Max Jowitt to score under the posts.

Around the hour mark, Trinity had another chance to put some points on the board but Connor Bailey’s kick was cleaned up by Ashton Golding.

Five minutes later, Wakefield finally crossed and avoided being nilled.

Following a goal-line drop out, the home side moved up field and Kelepi Tanginoa forced his way over the line for the first try.

With just five minutes remaining, Josh Wood went down for the Giants after a collision with Gavet.

With 40 seconds remaining, Trinity looked for another consolation try but couldn’t get over the line before the final hooter.

FULL-TIME: Wakefield Trinity 6-29 Huddersfield Giants


Wakefield Trinity

Jowitt, Kay, Lyne, Tupou, Jones-Bishop, Bailey, Hampshire, Kopczak, J. Wood, Battye, Pitts, Tanginoa, Westerman

Interchanges: K. Wood, Crowther, Navarette, Gigot

Tries: Tanginoa

Goals: Hampshire (1/1)

Huddersfield Giants

Golding, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, McIntosh, Turner, Sezer, Wilson, Butterworth, Matagi, Edwards, McQueen, Lawrence

Interchanges: Holmes, S. Wood, Trout, Gavet

Tries: McQueen, Matagi, Gavet, Sezer, Wardle

Goals: Sezer (4/5)

Drop-Goals: Turner

Referee: J. Smith

Touch Judges: C. Worsley, A. Martin

Image Source: @ (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: