Eagles home record broken as Halifax perform well

Life without Richard Marshall start brightly for Halifax as they pipped Sheffield Eagles 24-32 at the Olympic Legacy Park.

The opening score did come from Halifax in the third minute as Ed Barber strolled over the line after Quentin Laulu-Togagae and Chester Butler broke through the Eagles defence.

Fax thought they were in once again a few minutes later after Steve Tyrer collected Scott Murrell’s high kick and passed down to Shaun Robinson.

However, Tyrer was deemed to have been offside from the kick.

Sheffield equalised in the 14th minutes as Aaron Brown picked off a loose pass from Murrell and raced 90 metres to score.

Just after the 20 minute mark, the Eagles won a penalty 15 metres out, directly in front of the posts. Walker converted to give Sheffield an 8-6 lead.

James Davey then pushed the Eagles further ahead after picking out Brandon Moore who was late in getting back into the defensive line and crashed over.

An intercept from Will Sharp and ill-discipline from the Eagles meant Fax could camp on the Sheffield line and the pressure told in the end.

Scott Murrell picked up the ball from the ruck and burrowed his way over. Tyrer converted and two points separated the side just after 30 minutes.

James Woodburn-Hall made it back-to-back tries for the visitors as Laulu-Togagae exploited an overlap on the left edge, and released Robinson on the wing.

The winger then passed back infield to the half-back who slid over for the lead.

Sheffield then took the lead once again just a minute before half-time as Anthony Thackerys kick was collected by Ryan Millar, who combined with James Glover, with Millar eventually going over.

Walker converted to make it 20-18.

HALF-TIME: Sheffield Eagles 20-18 Halifax RLFC

Halifax picked up the first try of the second period after Millar failed to gather Murrell’s high spiralling kick.

The ball bounced up perfectly into the arms of the returning Chester Butler to score.

Tyrer gave Fax a six point lead after once again converting a penalty from just to the left of the posts.

Sheffield once again pegged back Fax as Ben Blackmore scored a superb solo try. The winger broke down the right edge and kicked on for himself to chase and he beat Tyrer to the chase.

Walker had the chance to level the scores but failed with his conversion.

With just over 10 minutes remaining, Sheffield had a try disallowed for a forward pass.

As timed ticked by Sheffield were gifted a couple of penalties as Halifax failed to close down the game.

However, Fax held on in defence forcing a knock-on from Nathan Mason and a loose pass into touch from Anthony Thackeray with a few minutes remaining.

In the final stages of the game, Halifax did manage to grab the winning try as Laulu-Togagae stepped and jinxed his way across the Eagles defence, and released Butler for his brace.

Tyrer converted to make it 100% from the boot and secure the two points for Halifax.

FULL-TIME: Sheffield Eagles 24-32 Halifax RLFC

Sheffield Eagles

Josh Guzdek, Ryan Millar, James Glover, Aaron Brown, Ben Blackmore, Pat Walker, Anthony Thackeray, Pat Moran, Greg Burns, Rory Dixon, Oliver Davies, Joel Farrell, Matt James.

Interchanges: James Davey, Nathan Mason, Brad Knowles, Sonny Esslemont.

Tries: Aaron Brown, James Davey, Ryan Millar

Goals: Pat Walker (4/4)




Halifax RLFC

Quentin, Laulu-Togagae, Will Sharp, Steve Tyrer, Chester Butler, Shaun Robinson, Scott Murrell, James Woodburn-Hall, Elliot Morris, Brandon Moore, Ben Kavanagh, Kevin Larroyer, Ed Barber, Jacob Fairbank.

Interchanges: Dan Fleming, Connor Davies, Curtis Davies, Reece Chapman-Smith.

Tries: Ed Barber, Scott Murrell, James Woodburn-Hall, Chester Butler (2)

Goals: Steve Tyrer (6/6)




Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: