Clinical Warriors hammer Hull with first-half rout

In the final 2020 Coral Challenge Cup Quart-Final, Hull FC took on a rotated Wigan Warriors side, as both sides looked to face Leeds Rhinos in the next round.

After just four minutes, the Warriors grabbed the lead.

Sam Powell was the scorer after Sean O’Loughlin managed to offload out of the tackle to the hooker who just about kept control of the ball in a tackle for the try.

Five minutes later, Liam Farrell looked to have crossed after Jackson Hastings kick wasn’t tidied up by Carlos Tuimavave or Mahe Fonua and the second-rower grounded the ball.

Wigan were dominating every department of the game, coming out on top in territory and possession.

They were gifted easy field position after Connor Wynne dropped a bouncing kick.

Just two tackles following the set restart, the ball found Bevan French on the right-edge and the full-back stepped back Marc Sneyd for the third try.

With the game ticking past the half hour mark, Hull finally got their hands on the ball in decent field position but Jake Connor couldn’t hold on to the ball.

Dom Manfredi did leave the field on the 32nd minute after he got his head in the wrong position following an attempted tackle on Bureta Faraimo, and came away stumbling around the pitch.

The Warriors then lost Sam Powell for a head injury assessment, as the Black and Whites continued their search for a try.

Having soaked up a ton of pressure, Wigan extended their lead further.

With Connor Wynne receiving treatment, French released Zak Hardaker down the right-wing, with Josh Griffin filling in at full-back for Hull FC.

With Griffin closing him down, Hardaker kicked back inside the the Wigan full-back chased ahead, gathered the ball and scored behind the posts.

Hull looked for a try before half-time, butTuimavave couldn’t keep hold of the ball.

This was then picked up by Joe Burgess who charged upfield 80-metres and dotted down for try number five.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 0-26 Wigan Warriors

The first quarter of an hour of the second half was frantic with Hull FC pushing for a score in desperation, but ill-discipline allowed Wigan to keep moving deep in to the home sides half.

The game was all but finished with the next try, as O’Loughlin, at half-back alongside Harry Smith combined to put Liam Farrell through a gap back on the inside for his second.

Just after the hour mark, Wigan picked up try number seven.

Harry Smith attacked Jake Connor and Tuimavave before pushing a pass to Oliver Gildart who walked over the line untouched.

With ten minutes left, Hull did manage to claim a consolation try.

Jake Connor stepped in behind the onrushing Harry Smith, and offloaded over the top to Fonua who powered over in the corner.

Suddenly Hull were looking more dangerous, with Wigan clearly tiring, but the clinical finishing was quite their as the fifth tackle play was cleaned up by Farrell.

Hull did have the ball in hand in the final minute, but they never seemed to threaten compared to the clinical finishing of the Warriors.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 4-36 Wigan Warriors


Hull FC

Wynne, Fonua, Tuimavave, Griffin, Faraimo, Connor, Sneyd, Matongo, Johnstone, Fash, Ma’u, Lane, Cator

Interchanges: Houghton, Satae. Sao, Brown

Tries: Fonua

Goals: Sneyd (0/1)

Wigan Warriors

French, Manfredi, Hardaker, Gildart, J. Burgess, Hastings, Leuluai, Havard, Powell, Partington, Isa, Farrell, O’Loughlin

Interchanges: Clark, Greenwood, Shorrocks, Smith

Tries: Powell, Farrell (2), French (2), Burgess, Gildart

Goals: Hardaker (4/7)

Referee: R. Hicks

Touch Judges: S. Mikalauskas, M. Craven

Video Referee: B. Thaler

Image Source: @TheChallengeCup (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: