Rovers put to sword as Rhinos march on

A slightly rotated Leeds Rhinos side faced the Hull Kingston Rovers in the second of four Coral Challenge Cup Quarter-Finals this weekend.

Within five minutes, the Rhinos took the lead.

Ava Seumanufagai was the recipient of a short pass from Kruise Leeming and the prop-forward powered over.

In the ninth minute, it looked as though Leeds picked up a second.

Luke Gale made a line break on the left-edge, and then released Ash Handley to get past Will Dagger.

Despite the effort of Ethan Ryan, Handley still managed to ground the ball.

It was becoming a habit for Leeds as five minutes later, Tom Briscoe scored.

Kruise Leemings break on the left put the Rhinos on the front-foot and after good hands from the the home side, the ball found Tom Briscoe who stepped back on the inside and score with three defenders on his back.

The pattern of a try every five minutes continued as Harry Newman skipped across the Hull KR line and stepped through a gap and over the top of Will Dagger to score.

As the game ticked over the half hour mark, the Robins were beginning to work themselves back into the game.

However, in the 34th minute, James Donaldson made an accusation against Jamie Ellis of a bite in the tackle, however, with nothing seen by Liam Moore, the incident was only placed on report.

On a second viewing, there didn’t seem to be a clear bite by the Rovers half-back with Donaldson placing his fingers in side the open mouth of Ellis, who was on the floor.

Ill-discipline from Rovers allowed Leeds to camp back inside the 20-metre line.

Leeming picked the ball up from the ruck, threw a dummy, stepped back inside, span out of a tackle and beat the tackle of Nathaniel Peteru to score.

With eight minutes left, the Robins grabbed a third try.

The half-back dummied and then accelerated to the gap inside Myler and race away to score.

HALF-TIME: Leeds Rhinos 30-0 Hull Kingston Rovers

With four minutes of the second-half gone, Seumanufagai hit the head of Adam Gee with his shoulder, and therefore spent the next 10-minutes in the sin-bin.

Jamie Ellis was the man to light the spark in the visitors as he dropped the ball onto his foot and managed to beat Harry Newman to the loose ball and ground it on the bounce.

Despite being a man down, the Rhinos still managed to grab a try.

Richie Myler picked the ball up out the back and accelerated through a big gap, before passing back inside, albeit slightly forward, to Kruise Leeming who scored his second of the night.

Just before the hour mark, Luke Briscoe punished Rovers for yet another after the ball hit the deck following a loose pass from Ellis.

He picked up the loose ball and ran away to score under the posts.

The Robins managed to pull a score back as a set restart was punished by a quick-thinking Jez Litten who ran at the gap at which Rhyse Martin should have been and scored the second of the night.

With just under five minutes to go, having converted all the previous tries. Rhyse Martin showed his strength to bump off and handful of tacklers and cross the line.

FULL-TIME: Leeds Rhinos 48-18 Hull Kingston Rovers


Leeds Rhinos

Myler, T. Briscoe, Newman, L. Sutcliffe, Handley, Lui, Gale, Seumanufagai, Leeming, Prior, Mellor, Martin, Oledzki

Interchanges: L. Briscoe, McLelland, Holroyd, Donaldson

Tries: Seumanufagai, Handley, T. Briscoe, Newman, Leeming (2), L. Briscoe, Martin

Goals: Martin (8/8)

Sin-Bins Seamanufagai

Hull Kingston Rovers

Dagger, Ryan, Kenny-Dowall, Linett, Minikin, Lewis, Ellis, Hauraki, Parcell, Lawler, Storton, Hadley, Mulhern

Interchanges: Peteru, Litten, Murray, Gee

Tries: Ellis (2, Litten

Goals: Ellis (3/3)

Referee: L. Moore

Touch Judges: J. Child, L. Rush

Video Referee: M. Griffiths

Image Source: @TheChallengeCup (twitter)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: